Pharm students, what's your story?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1ive2die

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all the pharm students out there:

As many of us pre-pharms prepare for the upcoming application cycle, we could all use some motivation/inspiration. So to all accepted pharmacy students, what's your inspirational story? Maybe you got in despite a low GPA, maybe your pcat score was low or you bombed the interview? Maybe you applied numerous times and got in after several attempts. Or perhaps you faced some family/financial hardships on your road to becoming a pharmacy student.

Please share your story! Personally I enjoy hearing about all the obstacles people have overcome getting to pharmacy school because it makes me feel that I have a chance to overcome any deficiency in my application.

Members don't see this ad.

To all the pharm students out there:

As many of us pre-pharms prepare for the upcoming application cycle, we could all use some motivation/inspiration. So to all accepted pharmacy students, what's your inspirational story? Maybe you got in despite a low GPA, maybe your pcat score was low or you bombed the interview? Maybe you applied numerous times and got in after several attempts. Or perhaps you faced some family/financial hardships on your road to becoming a pharmacy student.

Please share your story! Personally I enjoy hearing about all the obstacles people have overcome getting to pharmacy school because it makes me feel that I have a chance to overcome any deficiency in my application.

shouldn't this be on the Pharm student forum?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, because we're freshly accepted and aren't actually pharmacists yet, and he wants to know about pharmacy students, and that's us.

Oh I get it. Well what's your story Passion?

I wrote a lot, but I dunno if people would want to see a long story in a thread.

OP, if you want to send me a PM, I can tell you about my story.

Don't forget that for almost everyone that got accepted with a low GPA, or low PCAT, or something else similar - the rest of their applications were probably incredible - just not all of it is things that can be, or are posted on forums like this... Sometimes people get too caught up in the "if these guys did it, I can too," mentality, or "If I did it so can anyone else."

Not to say that inspirational stories are bad, but giving false hope can be...
People need to realize that it takes a lot of effort to overcome things.

Don't forget that for almost everyone that got accepted with a low GPA, or low PCAT, or something else similar - the rest of their applications were probably incredible - just not all of it is things that can be, or are posted on forums like this... Sometimes people get too caught up in the "if these guys did it, I can too," mentality, or "If I did it so can anyone else."

I don't think I have ever heard such a negative spin on having a positive, can do attitude. Or for trying to give people hope. I guess your advice would be to aim low? :laugh:

To the OP: Most people probably have pretty boring stories. Studied during undergrad, crammed for PCAT, blah blah blah. Everyone has a story, but I suspect most of them are pretty boring.

I think it is a good idea to share inspirational stories. Why not? It doesn't mean we have to give false hope...but, it wouldn't hurt to have a little positivity on this forum with all the doom and gloom going around. So, I will go first:

I was a 4.0 international baccalaureate/honors student in high school with a decent SAT. First in my family to go to college and didn't know the first thing about applying to college. Had a free ride to my instate school (although I got into some OOS top schools and couldn't afford it). I went to college and spiraled downhill. Failed freshman/sophomore year. I posted my undergrad grades in some other thread (you'd have to go search for it). Basically, I made a lot of wrong choices and hung out with the wrong crowd. I ****ed up- royally. Lost my scholarships, went on probation, and actually got disqualified from the uni. Had to go to CC to prove myself and be readmitted. When I was 21, I got in trouble for an incident involving drinking. I was a total lush- probably borderline alcoholic at that point. I realized I was halfway down the rabbit hole and decided that it wasn't for me (the partying, drinking, etc.). So, I quit drinking, did really well my last couple semesters at uni and spent the following 3 years retaking classes and taking pre-reqs @ CC. I have a 3.9 post bac GPA, got an 87 PCAT, and since I had to work full-time throughout my undergrad career because I wasn't fortunate enough to have rich parents, I ended up having 5 years of pharm tech experience by the time I applied in addition to the many EC's I did during undergrad (because I found those more important than grades at the time- ironic, dontchya think?). Got into my top choices. It was hard work. One semester I was taking orgo, physics, and a humanities course while working 40+ hours a week. Some nights I didn't get to bed til midnight and had to work at 6am. I rarely slept between all the late labs (they went til 10pm), lab reports, homework, and maintaining my household. I never really had a day off and couldn't really sleep in ever. It sucked. But, I did it. I did it because I had to **** or get off the pot, ya know? I knew what I wanted and I had to put myself through years of misery for the years I acted like a jackass in college. It paid off, though. I'm heading into a great program with a clear mind and less distractions than ever before. I got all that partying crap out of my system so I can go into pharm school and succeed and devote time to some organizations I want to be a part of.

The truth is, if you've got what it takes, you can do it. But, nothing is going to just fall in your lap (unless you have some incredibly good karma or something). Everyone's story is different. Having a positive attitude is one thing- actually putting that positive attitude to use is another thing. Your choice. If you fail and this is what you really want, try again. But, be realistic in your endeavors.

How were you able to physically and temporally handle all that? It boggles my mind how some people do it. :confused:

This is the way things are; I agree with you. People need to take responsibility for their actions and be real. It's your life and whatever you achieve or fail to accomplish, is all on you. Life isn't fair, which is why I work hard.

OP, "bombing" an interview is very subjective.

I don't think I have ever heard such a negative spin on having a positive, can do attitude. Or for trying to give people hope. I guess your advice would be to aim low? :laugh:

To the OP: Most people probably have pretty boring stories. Studied during undergrad, crammed for PCAT, blah blah blah. Everyone has a story, but I suspect most of them are pretty boring.

No, but I have seen a lot of people that have next to no chance at getting in without several years of hard work that "they're fine" or "they're doing good" etc. etc. nothing against inspirational stories and encouragement, but IMO giving people false hope is far worse than saying nothing... You're setting people up for failure and wasting their time if you tell them that things like that - I believe in being practical. I'll tell someone it's doable, but I'm not going to sugar coat it...

My goodness rxlea, space bars are a beautiful thing...

Great story though. I'm glad things worked out for you. You definitely put in the work for it! :)

Any lazy students with an above average PCAT/GPA and no extra stuff get into a good school? A yes to that is the only inspiration or motivation I need. :laugh:

I swear I'm willing to dedicate myself to pharmacy.

ducks