Pharm tech job at a VA hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corolla11

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone worked as a pharm tech at a VA hospital? How difficult of a job is it to get? Do you have to be involved with the military? I noticed they pay really really well. :D

Members don't see this ad.

You do not have to be affiliated with the military to work there. The majority of people that work at the VA are civilians. One of the techs that I work with works full-time at the VA and part-time at my hospital. I think it would be just as difficult to get in as it is at a hospital pharmacy. Supply and demand are always a factor. Put in an application and follow up.

I would say overall and nationwide, that is going to be the most sought-after and competative tech job. Great pay, great benefits, etc. The above poster is correct in saying that most of the employees are civilians as well, so apply if it is something you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
The VA experience I have had was great. They tend to keep techs around for a long time...if you can get in, go for it!

I was just hired as a VA phamcy tech after 4+ years of retail experience. I hear the particular location I've been hired at is really busy, but I'm really looking forward to it.:xf: I love knowing that I only have to have one active state license and be able to work in any location in the country, including the Philippines and Puerto Rico. The VA also offers loan repayment services, if the funds are available, so they can essentially pay for you to go to pharmacy school! :thumbup: I hope that the VA will be as good to me as I plan on being for it! *EDIT* I'm currently getting paid more than 1.5 times than I was at my last retail job and more than 2 times as much at another retail position I had.

I was just hired as a VA phamcy tech after 4+ years of retail experience. I hear the particular location I've been hired at is really busy, but I'm really looking forward to it.:xf: I love knowing that I only have to have one active state license and be able to work in any location in the country, including the Philippines and Puerto Rico. The VA also offers loan repayment services, if the funds are available, so they can essentially pay for you to go to pharmacy school! :thumbup: I hope that the VA will be as good to me as I plan on being for it! *EDIT* I'm currently getting paid more than 1.5 times than I was at my last retail job and more than 2 times as much at another retail position I had.

Congradulations! :thumbup: