Pharm to MD chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oregonian19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a senior getting a biochem degree from a state school. I've been accepted and have committed to a pharmacy program for next year, but I'm starting to have doubts (mostly anxiety about whether or not I would get a job after graduating and 1/2 years of residency).

That being said, I'm curious if I should be kicking myself for not doing medicine? That was my original goal and intention, but I didn't feel like I was competitive enough. Because of, I kind of shifted to pharmacy at the start of junior year.

So, based on my stats, do you guys think I had a chance?

-degree: BS in Biochemistry
-cGPA: 3.62
-sGPA: 3.44
-Haven't taken the MCAT, but I got an 87th percentile on the PCAT without studying (I know MCAT is harder than PCAT)
-Honors college student
-Undergraduate thesis
-Volunteer for over a year as a pharmacy technician at a charitable pharmacy
-Pharm tech license/certification
-6 months volunteering in a lab
-1.5 years of paid work in a lab
-Member of health advisory committee at my school
-~20 hours of MD/DO/PA shadowing

I was thinking, at this point, of just doing all of the pharmacy degree because I'm being a worrier OR doing one year of pharmacy and then trying to switch to an MD or PA program.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
nothing can be said without MCAT. Probably could skate into a newer DO school with that gpa and sgpa with a 500 tho.

I'm pretty sure you can't just "switch" into an MD or PA program. If you quit Pharm after a year, adcoms will look down on that because it'll show you can't commit. At this point, you have to decide for yourself what you want more. If you really want to do medicine, you'd probably have to take a gap year and beef up your volunteer activities. And also do well on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you can't switch. What I meant by that was take the time to apply to the program.

I do understand the idea that you "can't commit" by switching. That is something I have thought of.

500+ MCAT for DO.

510+ MCAT for MD.

Just have a solid explanation for why you're switching. I wouldn't finish that PharmD degree. Understand that DO schools are more forgiven than MD. Both will grant you the ability to practice medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you are set on medical school, take a gap year, study for the MCAT, and apply with a solid app in 2019. If you do well on the MCAT you have a shot at low tier MD and basically any DO.

I'm certain it happens infrequently, but starting a terminal degree (pharmd) and quitting before finishing doesn't look great to ADCOMS (unless you're a superstar, which objectively you're not).

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
So, basically, I need to have a good explanation for switching, do a few more volunteer activities, and do average to pretty well the MCAT?

Also, what schools constitute as "low-tier" for an MD? Are we talking Mexico/Caribbean or staying in the US? And are DOs really that -- for lack of a better word -- inferior to MDs? I know that they're objectively easier to get into, but I feel like I'm seeing more DOs than MDs these day.

So, basically, I need to have a good explanation for switching, do a few more volunteer activities, and do average to pretty well the MCAT?

Also, what schools constitute as "low-tier" for an MD? Are we talking Mexico/Caribbean or staying in the US? And are DOs really that -- for lack of a better word -- inferior to MDs? I know that they're objectively easier to get into, but I feel like I'm seeing more DOs than MDs these day.
the admission standards for DO's on average are much lower compared to MD schools. After residency and board certification everyone is equal. Low tier MD =/= offshore (stay away from offshore schools.)

Getting the average MCAT might be more difficult than getting 87 percentile in PCAT because you are competing with a pool of applicants that are arguably smarter...

Getting the average MCAT might be more difficult than getting 87 percentile in PCAT because you are competing with a pool of applicants that are arguably smarter...
Hence me saying I didn't study for the PCAT. I did fairly well on it without trying, so I feel like studying for the MCAT would at least get me the average?

Hence me saying I didn't study for the PCAT. I did fairly well on it without trying, so I feel like studying for the MCAT would at least get me the average?
You should never aim to be average. The higher the MCAT the better the school the better the career options.

I wasn't suggesting average was adequate. I was just saying that with some effort, I should be able to manage an average score. I was just responding the the implication I might not be able to do it because the PCAT is easier than the MCAT.

I wasn't suggesting average was adequate. I was just saying that with some effort, I should be able to manage an average score. I was just responding the the implication I might not be able to do it because the PCAT is easier than the MCAT.
I was not implying that... I was just pointing out it might be more difficult to get a good score in the MCAT than the PCAT... Sorry if my post came across that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was not implying that... I was just pointing out it might be more difficult to get a good score in the MCAT than the PCAT... Sorry if my post came across that way.

It's alright! I took it as that, but I knew nothing was meant by it. My apologies, it's all good!

Definitely go with what you are more interested in if you can. But I feel like you will also only know through experience like shadowing pharmacists versus shadowing techs and doctors. Or volunteering. Though you have both, what were you more passionate about? Also but if you barely studied for the pcat what makes you think you would try harder for the mcat? Just because the test is harder? Just trying to point out study habits. Lastly If your concern is a competitive environment and you don’t thrive under it, it might not be the best for you. I wish you luck tho, either way your future seems really bright! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Definitely go with what you are more interested in if you can. But I feel like you will also only know through experience like shadowing pharmacists versus shadowing techs and doctors. Or volunteering. Though you have both, what were you more passionate about? Also but if you barely studied for the pcat what makes you think you would try harder for the mcat? Just because the test is harder? Just trying to point out study habits. Lastly If your concern is a competitive environment and you don’t thrive under it, it might not be the best for you. I wish you luck tho, either way your future seems really bright! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well, when shadowing/volunteering, I liked medicine more because it was more about connecting with patients and being seen as a helpful and respected source for information. Pharmacy, I feel is less interesting (though still interesting), but I felt more drawn to it because it seemed more attainable. Like medicine felt kind of untouchable, if that makes sense?

As for studying, my method is to take a baseline practice test and go from there. PCAT, I did alright on a few practice tests, so I didn't feel the need to study. But I would definitely spend time on the MCAT, if needed. I study if there's a gap in knowledge.

In terms of my concern, it's just that I won't be able to find a job with enough hours in the location (or near) that I want. A lot of people on this forum are very pessimistic about the next 20 or so years for pharmacy: jobs/hours getting cut, automation, unrealistic work conditions, etc. I'm having a hard time deciphering if these concerns are hyperbolic and people are bitter because pharmacy used to be cushy or if good, quality jobs are actually scarce. As a person who started coming of age during the recession, I don't want to ever be in a situation where I'm spending months/years looking for a job.

Well, when shadowing/volunteering, I liked medicine more because it was more about connecting with patients and being seen as a helpful and respected source for information. Pharmacy, I feel is less interesting (though still interesting), but I felt more drawn to it because it seemed more attainable. Like medicine felt kind of untouchable, if that makes sense?

As for studying, my method is to take a baseline practice test and go from there. PCAT, I did alright on a few practice tests, so I didn't feel the need to study. But I would definitely spend time on the MCAT, if needed. I study if there's a gap in knowledge.

In terms of my concern, it's just that I won't be able to find a job with enough hours in the location (or near) that I want. A lot of people on this forum are very pessimistic about the next 20 or so years for pharmacy: jobs/hours getting cut, automation, unrealistic work conditions, etc. I'm having a hard time deciphering if these concerns are hyperbolic and people are bitter because pharmacy used to be cushy or if good, quality jobs are actually scarce. As a person who started coming of age during the recession, I don't want to ever be in a situation where I'm spending months/years looking for a job.

Study and take a couple of practice MCATs before starting Pharm school. Maybe take a real one and get your score before school starts. You have the time right now to study, take a real test in early June, and get your score back early July. I'm assuming Pharm school starts in early August. If you get at least a 504, nix Pharm school. I know others have said 500, but I would be more conservative. What's the point of spending a year in Pharm school and having to pay back that tuition if you want to go to med school? You can spend that year working, saving up, and beefing up your app.

One idea I just remembered is the pharmacy school I'm committed to has a one-year, no questions asked deferral policy.

Would it maybe be a good idea to take that one year gap to try and get into a DO school and, if not, just go to the pharmacy school?

One idea I just remembered is the pharmacy school I'm committed to has a one-year, no questions asked deferral policy.

Would it maybe be a good idea to take that one year gap to try and get into a DO school and, if not, just go to the pharmacy school?

This is your best option, although I would probably suggest taking the MCAT and seeing how you do, but not planning to apply this year. If you don't do well, matriculate to pharmacy school next year. If you do well, use the year to build up some medical related extracurriculars (which you are currently lacking), then apply one year from now.

Yes! BUT make sure the deferral doesn't come with caveats like "you must not be applying to other schools during the process." I vaguely recall undergrad deferrals being like that and I wouldn't be surprised if your Pharm school has the same stipulation.

I looked at the school's deferral policy on their website. It doesn't say anything about not applying to other schools, only that I must have paid the deposit (already done) and I notify them no later than June 1st.

So it sounds like a few people consider this to be a decent idea?

I looked at the school's deferral policy on their website. It doesn't say anything about not applying to other schools, only that I must have paid the deposit (already done) and I notify them no later than June 1st.

So it sounds like a few people consider this to be a decent idea?
By deferring, you give yourself the time to explore if medicine is your path, someone who is more likely to stay in pharm school will get your seat in the class, and if you decide medicine isnt for you then youre still set up great to continue with pharmacy. I think a deferral is your best option to explore your curiosity with medicine while keeping a safe spot at the pharm school, and not spending a lot of money and effort for a year of pharm classes if it isnt what you want.

i think of it in these terms. If you want to be a pharmacist go be a pharmacist. If you want to be a physican work your butt off to be a physician. You only get one life. Make up your mind and make it happen.

Well, I'M going to put some serious thought to this idea. I feel pretty excited about it, but want to make sure that I make decisions that are smart and best for me.

Thank you for everyone's imput! If anyone has any potential recommendations for what to do in a gap year, I would love to hear ideas! Obviously shadowing, volunteering, and applicable job experience, but anything else?

Have you ended up making a decision?? Wishing you the best!

Yeah, I guess I have made a decision!

I'm going to defer pharmacy school for a year and take that time to beef up my application and study/take the MCAT!

Yeah, I guess I have made a decision!

I'm going to defer pharmacy school for a year and take that time to beef up my application and study/take the MCAT!
That is awesome!! The job market in pharmacy is rough, speaking from a new residency-trained graduate. I only encourage people to pursue pharmacy if they are absolutely passionate about it and flexible about what setting and work hours they'll end up with. It sounds like you know what you want, congratulations on staying true to your purpose!!