Pharmaceutical Industry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozzy40

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any books that critique the role of the pharmaceutical industry in our society? Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

The current "go to book" on the pharmaceutical industry is Marcia Angell's "The Truth About the Drug Companies." This book is solid and journalistic, but very intelligent.

And ... if you type in the book on Amazon, and go to the bottom of the page, you will see a huge collection of similar books that their robots have found for you.

I would also recommend David Healy's excellent "Let them eat Prozac," which is a more scholarly work than Angell's, and gives a fabulous description of the way diagnoses and treatments are following the industries latest elixir's (at least in psychiatry.)

-Tritones

This isn't a book, but...there's a movie called something like Big Bucks, Big Pharma that I've been wanting to see

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily what you are looking for, but I highly recommend "The Whistleblower: Confessions of a Healthcare Hitman" by Pete Rost.

The current "go to book" on the pharmaceutical industry is Marcia Angell's "The Truth About the Drug Companies." This book is solid and journalistic, but very intelligent.

Angell's is good but I prefer "On the Take" by Jerome Kassirer

I think a lot of people are against the pharmaceutical field, I was too for a long time, but I work in the field myself and I can see that the pharmaceutics is not doing very well but it really needs a lot of money to operate...

I think a lot of people are against the pharmaceutical field, I was too for a long time, but I work in the field myself and I can see that the pharmaceutics is not doing very well but it really needs a lot of money to operate...

Well circa 2001 they had among the highest profit margins of any industry, yet Americans pay ridiculous amounts for drugs, even compared to the rest of the world. I think that's part of the frustration. :)

Well circa 2001 they had among the highest profit margins of any industry, yet Americans pay ridiculous amounts for drugs, even compared to the rest of the world. I think that's part of the frustration. :)

i agree...that's why i am leaving the industry for a more practical health care that really helps the public :)

Here are some basic facts you should know about the pharamaceutical industry:

- Drug discovery and development is very expensive. Pharmaceutical companies provide a vital source of capita that is unavailable at other levels such as university or smaller biotech companies.

-In 2000, more money was spent by Merck & Co MARKETING (TV ads anyone?) Vioxx than Anheuser spent on Budweiser and than PepsiCo spent on marketing Pepsi.

-At one point, 80 million people were prescribed Vioxx.

-In 2004, Vioxx was removed from the market because they found that it increased the likelihood of heart attack AND stroke (#1 + #3 killers of Americans)

-The pharmaceutical industry spends more on advertising than than R&D. 2 times more.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080105140107.htm

Here are some basic facts you should know about the pharamaceutical industry:

- Drug discovery and development is very expensive. Pharmaceutical companies provide a vital source of capita that is unavailable at other levels such as university or smaller biotech companies.

-In 2000, more money was spent by Merck & Co MARKETING (TV ads anyone?) Vioxx than Anheuser spent on Budweiser and than PepsiCo spent on marketing Pepsi.

-At one point, 80 million people were prescribed Vioxx.

-In 2004, Vioxx was removed from the market because they found that it increased the likelihood of heart attack AND stroke (#1 + #3 killers of Americans)

-The pharmaceutical industry spends more on advertising than than R&D. 2 times more.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080105140107.htm

awesome, nice post. Its distressing to me that our politicians allow their own populace to get raped by pharmaceuticals operating within their own borders. unconscionable. apparently money can buy anything.

There are many sources from where u can get precise info about role of Pharmaceutical industry in our society. Now u can also get online pharmacy
& their reviews as well

I am 20 years old. I use lexapro for two months i must say great anxiety and depression are gone. I found Lexapro online on google i must say great medicine also for young people.Lexapro help me

There are lots of useful books related pharmacy industry. Here are some useful books for you:
pharma: can the middlehold by Enrico Bastianelli
The big Fix by Katharine Greider
Pharmaceutical Industry by Richard Spilsbury
Hope this will help you out. Thank you.