Jul 7, 2009
Status (Visible)
Hello,

I am wondering, for those of you in the area, what is the job market for pharmacists and pharmacy interns like in Pittsburgh?

Much appreciated.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
The only places hiring are the folks that offer insulting pay. Like Mon Valley at their "fantastic" $38/hour (though they will give you a pension). Or UPMC and their "prestigious" $36/hour. If you are willing to do work in mail order, there are jobs...pay is decent...but its mail order...guh...

type b pharmD

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
The only places hiring are the folks that offer insulting pay. Like Mon Valley at their "fantastic" $38/hour (though they will give you a pension). Or UPMC and their "prestigious" $36/hour. If you are willing to do work in mail order, there are jobs...pay is decent...but its mail order...guh...

rofl classic wvupharm smackdown. PS: I started buying honey nut cheerios again a week ago just because of how disappointed Omar was in that scene! :laugh::thumbup:

About the Ads

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
rofl classic wvupharm smackdown. PS: I started buying honey nut cheerios again a week ago just because of how disappointed Omar was in that scene! :laugh::thumbup:

...and then he stops to light a Newport and accidentally robs a stash house...the best part of that entire sequence.

Feb 14, 2010
Murrysville, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Pittsburgh’s economy has sucked since the steel mills closed.

There are also way too many pharmacy schools in the Pittsburgh area. Here are the ones I know of.

WVU
Pitt
Duquesne (2 pharm classes)
Lecom Erie
Lecom Greenbug soon to open up

If you are willing to move 40ish minutes out of Pittsburgh you can find good paying pharmacy jobs. But let me warn you, once you get forty minutes out of Pittsburgh there isn’t much. There is breath of life at state college, and little going on in Harrisburg, but you really don’t find an urban environment till u get the whole way to Philly.

I guess thats why they call the gap b/t Pittsburgh and Philly, Pennsyltucky.

Last edited:

cnx232

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Hi all,

I'm currently an RPh in Los Angeles and looking at a possible move to Homestead or Munhall, PA. Can anyone update me on the job market for retail pharmacists in this area or around Pittsburgh? Any info would be appreciated! :)

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Hi all,

I'm currently an RPh in Los Angeles and looking at a possible move to Homestead or Munhall, PA. Can anyone update me on the job market for retail pharmacists in this area or around Pittsburgh? Any info would be appreciated! :)

It sucks more than the last time we posted about it.

Sorry.

Good luck, though.

Jul 12, 2009
Status (Visible)
there is nothing there

*if* there was, you have to ? the job b/c there really is no jobs there and would have to wonder why a job opened that was not filled fast

you have like 5 pharm schools in a 2 hr radius or so, there just isnt anything there

30Percent

Big boy shoes
Feb 6, 2011
Status (Visible)
Is the cost of living in PA really low? My friend just graduated from a sonography program making $40 per hour in CA with Kaiser.

I can't see how they can get a way with offering $38 when a 2 year sonography program can make more.

Jul 12, 2009
Status (Visible)
Is the cost of living in PA really low? My friend just graduated from a sonography program making $40 per hour in CA with Kaiser.

I can't see how they can get a way with offering $38 when a 2 year sonography program can make more.

cost of living isnt that high, obviously PITT has expensive areas and stuff
they are taking advantage of the situation (as will others in due time)....they offer 38 starting, in fact, that offer is the most Ive gotten repeatedly in my mail box over the years

About the Ads
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.