Pharmacist lifestyle and living in the Tri-State Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering the pursuit of pharmacy school and was wondering with the advent of an ever increasing number of new schools and market saturation in desirable areas whether it would still be possible to live comfortably in the Northern New Jersey/Westchester/Long Island areas on a pharmacist's salary. I know there are many older threads predicting the future of pharmacy but I would also like to know what the situation appears to be as now(or your new and improved predictions for the future). Please no flames as I am posting this in all seriousness. Thank you,
Darkskies

Members don't see this ad.

I work for CVS in Northern NJ, in District 9. This is the northern, east district of NJ, closest to GWB. The district is completely saturated. CVS is hiring only 2 graduating pharmacists from the class of 2010. I"m graduating in 2011, and I believe they are only hiring 2 from my graduating class as well. The interviewing has already begun for me.

I go to so school in Queens, and from what I hear from all my friends, CVS in NYC is pretty much saturated, too, or is getting to the point.

If everything stays the same, then it will be difficult for future graduates to get a job, at least for CVS in the Northern NJ, NYC area.

But things are changing. Who knows how the new health care bill will affect us? I don"t know.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup:
It is pretty much saturated in Long island too. There are probably a few positions in the Bronx or overnight in the city. Other than that... it will be hard for you to find a job as a staff RPH with stable hours. They promise floaters 30-40 hours but they really get 20ish.

I work for CVS in Northern NJ, in District 9. This is the northern, east district of NJ, closest to GWB. The district is completely saturated. CVS is hiring only 2 graduating pharmacists from the class of 2010. I"m graduating in 2011, and I believe they are only hiring 2 from my graduating class as well. The interviewing has already begun for me.

I go to so school in Queens, and from what I hear from all my friends, CVS in NYC is pretty much saturated, too, or is getting to the point.

If everything stays the same, then it will be difficult for future graduates to get a job, at least for CVS in the Northern NJ, NYC area.

But things are changing. Who knows how the new health care bill will affect us? I don"t know.

Thanks for the responses. Is there any chance that the saturation will let up in the future? What about hospital pharmacist positions?

:thumbup:
It is pretty much saturated in Long island too. There are probably a few positions in the Bronx or overnight in the city. Other than that... it will be hard for you to find a job as a staff RPH with stable hours. They promise floaters 30-40 hours but they really get 20ish.
same here in hawaii :(

Thanks for the responses. Is there any chance that the saturation will let up in the future? What about hospital pharmacist positions?

Hard to say. Nobody has a crystal ball but it is hard to imagine more pharmacies opening up leading to more staff RPH jobs. The city is already saturated as it is with a pharmacy on every block.

Hospital jobs are definitely hard to get unless you have stellar grades and interned at the hospital for a while.

It is hard to say what the future holds, my current viewpoint is that I should do a PGY1 and maybe a PGY2 to ensure I have a rewarding and stable career.

It is hard to say what the future holds, my current viewpoint is that I should do a PGY1 and maybe a PGY2 to ensure I have a rewarding and stable career.

not necessarily a guarantee. you have to wonder with the increasing popularity of these residency programs and that more PGY-1 and 2s come out every year, are there enough qualified positions available for these residency trained pharmacists?

all i'm saying is that yes, doing a residency will increase your chances at landing a clinical or a hospital staffing position, but for all other settings involved (and there are many), it's really not going to help too much going against somebody who has the relevant experience.

Yeah, looks like I'll be heading either south (Texas) or to the Appalachians.

Texas isn't really the hotbed of pharmacist jobs anymore... well compared to other states yes, but when I moved down here from New Jersey due to my SO getting a job here, the job market really wasn't that much better. Luckily everything fell into place and I got a position that I wanted. Then again I moved to a city whereas if you were going to live in a rural or secluded area you might have better chances.

Well you won't be graduating for another 2 years, who knows what will happen, things will more likely get better than become worse

not necessarily a guarantee. you have to wonder with the increasing popularity of these residency programs and that more PGY-1 and 2s come out every year, are there enough qualified positions available for these residency trained pharmacists?

all i'm saying is that yes, doing a residency will increase your chances at landing a clinical or a hospital staffing position, but for all other settings involved (and there are many), it's really not going to help too much going against somebody who has the relevant experience.

I meant to say "better" my chances. Thanks for the perspective though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. So at current rates will the only locations that newly minted pharmacists can land positions be rural towns where few would prefer to live? What (desirable) areas aren't saturated as of yet?

The New Jersey/Westchester/Long Island always seemed to me to be an ideal area of residence since you're so close to the city, beaches,etc. yet can also retire to a tranquil home. I guess I'm not the only one who's ever thought that.

Hmm. So at current rates will the only locations that newly minted pharmacists can land positions be rural towns where few would prefer to live? What (desirable) areas aren't saturated as of yet?

The New Jersey/Westchester/Long Island always seemed to me to be an ideal area of residence since you're so close to the city, beaches,etc. yet can also retire to a tranquil home. I guess I'm not the only one who's ever thought that.

and for that reason taxes and real estate prices are sky high

Well you won't be graduating for another 2 years, who knows what will happen, things will more likely get better than become worse

Maybe - a risk benefit analysis works really here:

If I do a PGY1/2 - The worst that can happen is? The best that can happen is?

If I do not do a PGY1/2 - The worst that can happen is? The best that can happen is?

Whichever option has the best positive and/or least negative is your choice.

P.S. - My post adds nothing of relevance to the OP (sorry) - I've nothing to give on that one... :oops:

one more thing to add... a "pharmacists lifestyle" in the tri-state area is basically a middle class/upper middle class lifestyle...

i know this sector isn't so hot right now since the crash and all that, but if you want to make money and live in the tri-state area, why not major in finance/accounting and shoot for an investment banking job at a firm in nyc? Things WILL turn around in that sector in time once real estate starts picking up again

one more thing to add... a "pharmacists lifestyle" in the tri-state area is basically a middle class/upper middle class lifestyle...

i know this sector isn't so hot right now since the crash and all that, but if you want to make money and live in the tri-state area, why not major in finance/accounting and shoot for an investment banking job at a firm in nyc? Things WILL turn around in that sector in time once real estate starts picking up again

uhh ... that's random of you. pharmacy is most likely the biggest industry in the tri-state area. why tell him to change majors when he has so many opportunities in the tri-state area? plus i doubt he'd be able to land an ibanking position at this point

uhh ... that's random of you. pharmacy is most likely the biggest industry in the tri-state area. why tell him to change majors when he has so many opportunities in the tri-state area? plus i doubt he'd be able to land an ibanking position at this point

i beg to differ... new york city is the financial capital of the world with wall street, banking, etc. i was merely answering on the OPs question on how well you can go by on a pharmacists salary in the tri-state area since (s)he was considering going to pharmacy school.

i have been keeping a close eye on the pharmacist job market in nj, and it's pretty scary to see it get so bad, so fast. this is not to say that things will not get better (in fact i strongly believe that it will improve in the future), but job openings there have been scarce for the past year.

you may be right about one thing: the pharmaceutical industry is one of the biggest industries in new jersey, however i'm not so sure about its outlook especially with all the mergers happening left and right and the lack of innovative drugs coming down the pipeline in recent years

*this is coming from somebody who graduated from rutgers shortly before the collapse happened

Last edited:
i beg to differ... new york city is the financial capital of the world with wall street, banking, etc. i was merely answering on the OPs question on how well you can go by on a pharmacists salary in the tri-state area.

you may be right about one thing: the pharmaceutical industry is one of the biggest industries in new jersey, however i'm not so sure about its outlook especially with all the mergers happening left and right and the lack of innovative drugs coming down the pipeline in recent years

mergers are a reaction to the thinning pipeline. not to worry though, industry is gearing up for the patent cliff already. licensing w/ small companies is really hot right now and biotech is already starting to explode. there's been a lot of pushing into generics, emerging countries, and otc medications to diversify income.

you can definitely live comfortably on pharma salary, since my family does it in one of the best towns in jersey.

First of all, I definately think that this saturation is temporary. I think there are quite a few pharmacists that are on the verge of retirement, but chose to stick with it a little while longer because of these economic times. I also think that with millions of Americans getting insurance for the first time, there will be a call for more healthcare professionals of every type. Granted we may not get paid as much for these patients, atleast we'll have jobs. Also, not that I wish this upon these schools, but I see some of the newer schools not being able to survive this temporary saturation and possibly closing their doors.

Residency programs are good for those who wish to teach either in a school or in a hospital setting. You don't have to do a PGY1 or PGY2 to get these hospital jobs, although it MAY help. Of course I may be singing a different tune if I'm unable to get into a hospital after graduation. As of right now, where I'm moving, there are no available jobs, so I'm doing retail until the opportunities open up. You also have to consider that if this saturation does last longer than a year or two, doing a residency after graduation will further postpone getting out and getting one of the fewer jobs that do remain available.

Theres a ton to think about, but in the end you should do what you think will make you happy, the jobs will be there, you just have to find them.

You don't have to do a PGY1 or PGY2 to get these hospital jobs, although it MAY help. Of course I may be singing a different tune if I'm unable to get into a hospital after graduation. As of right now, where I'm moving, there are no available jobs, so I'm doing retail until the opportunities open up.

Even when the opportunities open up, more than likely there will be residency trained pharmacists applying for the positions as well. There are more and more residency trained pharmDs coming out every year and they will not only be applying to big health systems and academia.

Not trying to be a downer, just my opinion.

For CVS in District 9 (North NJ, close to GWB), they hired 2 pharmacists from the graduating class of 2009. These 2 pharmacists are floaters, and CVS only gives them 30 hours a week. Both are unhappy with their jobs. It"s too bad they signed a contract.

I am now starting to get a bit more educated with my job opportunities because I am graduating soon. I am surely not signing a contract with CVS if their situation remains the same.

Too bad it"s like this for most retail chains around here. This f"n sucks.

For CVS in District 9 (North NJ, close to GWB), they hired 2 pharmacists from the graduating class of 2009. These 2 pharmacists are floaters, and CVS only gives them 30 hours a week. Both are unhappy with their jobs. It"s too bad they signed a contract.

I am now starting to get a bit more educated with my job opportunities because I am graduating soon. I am surely not signing a contract with CVS if their situation remains the same.

Too bad it"s like this for most retail chains around here. This f"n sucks.

What type of contract was this? Did it state that they had to work a number of hours a week?

I mean its not so bad having to take that bonus money and then not be forced to work 44 hours a week at CVS, trust me, that type of nonsense will shorten your lifespan...