Pharmacist respect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cure4cancer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering for all you full time doc's or guys/gals doing residencies

What do you guys think of having a regular BSc.Pharm grad (is there a difference btwn the BPharm and PharmD?) working in a hospital? Are they actually useful or do you think the govt. is wasting money paying them such high wages?

And to the pharmacists, do you guys feel disrespected by the physicians that work along side you in the hospital?
and do you feel like you are using all your knowlege that you've gained throughout pharm school to its full potential?

Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

Any job of importance should have md after it to be effective. Otherwise it is a waste of time and damaging on the ego.

snaklee said:
Any job of importance should have md after it to be effective. Otherwise it is a waste of time and damaging on the ego.

great way to start it off!
comon people.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Please Don't feed the trolls.....

cure4cancer said:
Just wondering for all you full time doc's or guys/gals doing residencies

What do you guys think of having a regular BSc.Pharm grad (is there a difference btwn the BPharm and PharmD?) working in a hospital? Are they actually useful or do you think the govt. is wasting money paying them such high wages?

And to the pharmacists, do you guys feel disrespected by the physicians that work along side you in the hospital?
and do you feel like you are using all your knowlege that you've gained throughout pharm school to its full potential?

Discuss.

(1) What prompted this question? (2) Why is it in the International forum?

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
(1) What prompted this question? (2) Why is it in the International forum?

-Skip

Its in the international general discussion because I couldn't find the american general discussion when i wrote it... and i still can't seem to find where it is?

But the reason I ask is because I'm still having thoughts of getting into pharmacy, and I just want some feedback on what physicians think of them.
If they are completely useless and just count pills all day even in a hospital setting, then I'm gonna avoid it completely and become a RN (at least they do work).

cure4cancer said:
Its in the international general discussion because I couldn't find the american general discussion when i wrote it... and i still can't seem to find where it is?

Maybe try here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11

... or here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122

... or here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=49

cure4cancer said:
But the reason I ask is because I'm still having thoughts of getting into pharmacy, and I just want some feedback on what physicians think of them.
If they are completely useless and just count pills all day even in a hospital setting, then I'm gonna avoid it completely and become a RN (at least they do work).

Sounds like you still have some serious soul-searching to do. Being a pharmacist is far different than being a nurse. Hospital pharmacists are integral parts of the healthcare team, but they do not have very much patient contact (if any). If you work in an out-patient pharmacy, you will be an advocate for your patient just like physicians are and, depending on the environment, you'll have the opportunity to develop a patient-pharmacist relationship. You'll also get paid more as a pharmacist.

But, to answer your core question, does it really matter what others think of you in the long run? You should be happy in the decision you make for yourself, and not worry about what doctors (who are just people too) think about your choice of profession. Why not get a job in a pharmacy as a pharmacy tech while you're contemplating your choices? You can do an online course in about 8 weeks, and work in a pharmacy while you're deciding what to do with your life. That way you'll get a chance to work one-on-one with pharmacists and really see what they do. Likewise, you can volunteer in a hospital to see what the day-to-day job of a nurse is really like.

Good luck whatever you decide.

-Skip

Thanks for the info skip,
Now... is there any moderator nice enough to move this out of the general immigrant discussion and into Allopathic/Osteopathic .. please?