Sep 16, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
Hi, I am a pharmacist thinking of a change of career. I am currently working hospital staff pharmacy, and have worked at every setting in pharmacy you can think of, and haven't found my passion in pharmacy. I have always wanted to be a doctor because of the job satisfaction, and because I love helping people and how better to help than when they are ill and most vulnerable?

What's holding me back is lifestyle of a doctor. I want to have a family one day and don't know how I will factor in a family and the stress of medical school. I am also 27, and by the time I graduate I will be in my 30s. I've also been working in a hospital recently and the stress gets overwhelming sometimes. I am a focused and detail-oriented person but when it comes time to make decisions on the spot and when so many things are going on at once, I can get overwhelmed. I don't know if I can handle the stress of being a doctor.

My other option is doing a PhD in pharmaceutical sciences. I have always loved chemistry, especially medicinal chemistry. I love teaching, and can see myself in academia. I haven't done much research to know if I can see myself doing it for long periods of time and the frustration of having many of your research projects fail.

If anyone can provide me with some insight based on their experience, that would be very helpful!

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
The best way to know if medicine is for you is to shadow a bunch of different doctors. Each specialty can be wildly different from another, including lifestyle.

Reactions: eteshoe

JustaDO

2+ Year Member
May 22, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've also been working in a hospital recently and the stress gets overwhelming sometimes. I am a focused and detail-oriented person but when it comes time to make decisions on the spot and when so many things are going on at once, I can get overwhelmed.
This is going to be a problem then.