Pharmacists dissuading me to go to pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its amazing how little some people know - we all know who I'm talking about.

Talk to a real pharmacist, shadow pharmacists in different industries, and sensitize yourself to the new mentality that no job is stable - gone are the days of the baby boomer generation where you could work at the same company for 30 years and then retire with a pension. On average, Generation X'ers switch jobs every 5 years.

That's because the gen x'ers got ****ed over by the boomers.

Members don't see this ad.

That's because the gen x'ers got ****ed over by the boomers.

Darn baby boomers! If my parents hadn't paid my undergrad tuition i would have to put some generation x beat down on those AARP lovin pseudo-seniors. :mad:

The boomers just got lucky and rode out the post WWII prosperity which no longer exists. War=industry=jobs=prosperity (if you win). I'm not sure they screwed us over so much as they just weren't the greatest generation like their parents. In fact, the baby boomers are still employing thousands of us in healthcare just by getting old and needing more medication.

So thanks baby boomers. Keep downing all those pills so we need people to dispense your drugs. :thumbup:

Darn baby boomers! If my parents hadn't paid my undergrad tuition i would have to put some generation x beat down on those AARP lovin pseudo-seniors. :mad:

The boomers just got lucky and rode out the post WWII prosperity which no longer exists. War=industry=jobs=prosperity (if you win). I'm not sure they screwed us over so much as they just weren't the greatest generation like their parents. In fact, the baby boomers are still employing thousands of us in healthcare just by getting old and needing more medication.

So thanks baby boomers. Keep downing all those pills so we need people to dispense your drugs. :thumbup:

I just want them to ****ing retire already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what I think the best advice for ANY student trying to figure out what they want to do in life (pharmacy or not):

1) Go find someone whose working in a field/job that you think you would like.

2) Watch carefully what they do in and out. Ask them to give you active hands-on experience that simulates day-to-day tasks in the real-world setting. Observing is just too passive. Spend some careful thought and evaluation.

3) If you absolutely love their work, ask yourself exactly WHAT you need to do in order to acquire that job/position. Is it further training? Is it another degree? Is it something else?

That way, you will know if any field, including pharmacy, is right for you. The pharmacy world is constantly changing, and you just have to look at it from a real-world perspective that schools unfortunately don't teach nor provide. If you do all the steps above, absolutely love, and truly want to be in or have that role/job, then go for it.

This advice works on many levels... I see too many college undergrads unsure of what they want to do, only to find that after graduating from college, they still don't know what they want to do. Many end up back in school or with a career change altogether, but it isn't until 10+ years later until they find out what they really want, ultimately wasting all those years, time, and precious energy.

The downfall with today's modern education system is a lack of career formation. Many high schools tell students indirectly to go to college to "get further in life." But they never teach them how or what they must do to get there. It then becomes a game of "finish these pre-reqs and get your degree to move on." After that, life hits you when all you see are college grads scratching their heads pondering about what the last 4 years they were doing. Unfortunately, if you were like me and ended up with a useless degree (i.e., General Science/Pre-Pharmacy), you'll hate the system even more. Trust me, it becomes MUCH harder after you've grown older, with a family (or not), and start to incur debt/bills to pay/etc. :(

Excellent comment. Just wanted to say that I agree with everything you wrote.