Pharmacology 2nd year & Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostonguy911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I study pharm, which is not well organized at my school, I am realizing that this takes a lot of time (memorization). I see drugs in the FA section that are mentioned and we briskly cover them (do not go into mechanisms and have only 1-2 lines listing drugs on powerpoint presentations).

For studying for the boards and second year, what did you do?

Study all mechanisms, contradictions, side effects, ect even though maybe your exams did not cover this? I am having a lot of trouble deciding what exactly to do, I have purchased the brenners pharmocology cards as well and also have lipincotts pharm.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to memorize everything about every drug to do really well on the boards. You'll get a sense of the level of depth you have to know from doing the question banks. They'll hit certain concepts, side effects, and drug combination no-no's again and again.

If you know how to answer all of the Pre-Test Pharmacology (book) questions then you're on your way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get some flashcards (I have LANGE). Write some notes on them from your syllabus material if you need some further explanation. That's what I've been doing so far. When Board time comes around, I plan to just go through the flashcards a few times (along with FA, of course) and I think/hope that should be good enough for Pharm.

P.S. I'm also lucky to have good Pharm. instructors at my school.

As I study pharm, which is not well organized at my school, I am realizing that this takes a lot of time (memorization). I see drugs in the FA section that are mentioned and we briskly cover them (do not go into mechanisms and have only 1-2 lines listing drugs on powerpoint presentations).

For studying for the boards and second year, what did you do?

Study all mechanisms, contradictions, side effects, ect even though maybe your exams did not cover this? I am having a lot of trouble deciding what exactly to do, I have purchased the brenners pharmocology cards as well and also have lipincotts pharm.

At our school, (a DO program), we have to learn Pharm on our own like all other subjects. I am doing really poorly in the pharm section of our exam. Recently, I bought this book called Pharmacology Recall. Looks like a solid book in question/answer format.

If anyone ever used that book, I would love to get some feedback.

Thanks!

At our school, (a DO program), we have to learn Pharm on our own like all other subjects. I am doing really poorly in the pharm section of our exam. Recently, I bought this book called Pharmacology Recall. Looks like a solid book in question/answer format.

Thanks!

I used that book during my classes and also for studying for the step. It was exactly what I was looking for and worked perfectly as a secondary reference for the step (to reinforce FA). During classes, it was especially useful for the power review chapter found in the back of the book....before exams.

Thanks!

I used it. It's a great book, and the power review is all you need for the boards.