Pharmacology Recall vs. BRS Pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old_Mil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacology Recall vs. BRS Pharm - the former has an easy to use and learn format, the latter has more detail. If you're using one or the other, which one?

Members don't see this ad.

I have BRS Pharm but haven't found it too helpful...I'm going to use the Katzung and Trevor Review of Pharm (which has 2 long, comprehensive pharm exams at the end). Maybe Lippincott's if I need more explanation on something.

I have the new Pharm Recall. Although I haven't spent much time with it yet, every time I have looked at it I find an error or a significant lack in detail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the new Pharm Recall. Although I haven't spent much time with it yet, every time I have looked at it I find an error or a significant lack in detail.

Yeah, that's sort of my concern as well. Great format, horrible editing. And there are details you get out of BRS that you don't get out of recall...I love Lippencott - great Pharm book - but if I tried to memorize for boards out of there, it would take me another 4 years to get through medical school. :)

Many seem to believe FA is enough. I don't know yet since I really have yet to begin the hard core review process. I do have RR Pharm and so far I like it.

The pharm in FA 2006 is pretty good, albeit a bit disorganized.

A 3rd year recommended USMLE Road Map: Pharm (Katzung/Trevor) to me and said it's all he needed for the Step 1. Seems like a pretty solid book so far.

I heard pharm is quite abit and needs better review such as KAtzung board review.

You heard wrong

Katzung board review is a great book but won't get you any extra questions right, unless you have holes in conceptual understanding that FA isn't filling. It is useful as a supplement when you need to look something else (or you could use big katzung or even goodman&gilman) but reading it cover to cover is a huge waste of time.