pharmacy clerkship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TC714

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a pharmacy clerkship position for this summer term. However, things are not always going well as we hope. I already spent a week hunting for this job, handing in my resumes (AA degree, GPA 3.96, previous work experience in college as well as outside business) to 10 different stores, make calls...etc. But all I got was, "Sorry, we are not hiring clerks in summer, please drop your resume' here..we'll be in touch with you as soon as a new oppening is available"...

Anyway, has anyone had experience with these kinds of hunting? please let me know, i need your input.
Thannks a lot. Have a great day, guys.

Members don't see this ad.

hey there,

i am in the same boat looking for pharmacy work. i think it is just the bad economy, at least here in san francisco. i have been trying for about a week and have gone to so many stores and all have not been hiring. i did finally get somewhere when i got a pharmacist to give me the # for one of the area trainers for rite aid. maybe try that tactic because they can pass your resume on to lots of stores and they know what jobs are open. i got a call about a clerk position and went down and they are having 3 rounds of interviews for it. is that normal for an entry level retail job or is that a sign of the economy as well? good luck and i hope we both find jobs soon :)

So neither of you guys has tech certification?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I asked if I could volunteer in a hospital pharmacy but there is a waiting list! The pharmacy manager at Walgreen's told me I had to be accepted to pharmacy school first so I'm still looking.

I don't have tech certification. I was going to take the PTCE but they prefer that you have taken pharm tech classes & have a diploma.

Yeah, dunno. I applied w/tech certification which doesn't take much. I think your job prospects will be better if you do so as well. In CA all you need is a bachelors or even an a.a. in the sciences.

You guys might to broaden your searches to include target, kmart, costco, all the grocery chains.

You're doing it right. Open up the white pages and start dialing. You might even say that you'd be willing to work some of your hours on the store floor as well as in the pharmacy if that sounds more appealing to the manager. Sacrifice to get the experience. Another cookie you can dangle is willingess to work wknds. a lot of them will jump for that.

Triangulation,

I think the tech certificate might be helpful, but the Rite Aid person told me there are just few jobs available right... because of the economy no one is leaving. I hope they call me back for a 2nd interview. And Walgreen's central office in San Mateo does not return any emails or phone calls even after they contacted me for submitting an online application. I am thinking of resubmitting it since they seem to have the most pharmacies in SF.

I am trying to apply for the tech thing but the list of fingerprinting sites in CA is down. Did you do your fingerprinting/Live Scan thing in the Bay Area? If so, where did you go to do it? Thanks :)

I went to the police dept at San Francisco St U.

Originally posted by Triangulation
I went to the police dept at San Francisco St U.

Thanks for the info :) I will give them a call, get it done, and get the forms in the mail for the certificate.

It takes about a month, so you might not want to wait, esp if you've got rent to pay. It's a tough cookie during the summers bc a lot of pharm students from ucsf start interning at drugstores, so they need fewer techs.

Try your neighborhood drugstores too. There's a bunch on Geary St. You can also check out Kaiser's job site. They have a ton of tech positions advertised, which doesn't mean they're hiring (don't ask me how that works) But you can check that out. Same with blue cross.

Force yourself to spend an hour on the internet looking. It'll be worth it for that one manager that calls back.

Wherever you are interested in working, visit in person and talk to the folks who count, i.e head of pharmacy department at a hospital or, if retail, meet the pharmacy manager. Don't go through personnel (human resources), or store managers until the folks who count tell you to do so.

Visit at the most convenient times for management ( 10-10:30 am has always worked well for me). Take your resumes with you and give them a sound byte at the end of the conversation that sums up why you particularly want to work there. Call anonymously late at night to 24hr stores (or even hospitals) to find out who are the key people to talk with or to find out what some of the challenges/opportunities are at that location. Then when you find a place where you know you can be an asset, you will be able to tell the key people why it would be advantageous to hire you. Hope this helps.

Be consistent and persistent. If you ask about checking back with the key person in a few weeks, be sure to do it and then ask again if you can check back in a few weeks, etc. You WILL be remembered when openings come up.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the advice and support. Some good news... pending the passage of my drug test and some paperwork hassles, it looks like I am going to get hired at a Rite Aid as a Pharmacy Clerk with the ability to move up to Pharmacy Tech once I get the certificate. I am stoked :) So for everyone out there looking, don't give up. Keep at it....