Pharmacy Club Ideas???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FastLane051

Avid Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so Ive been trying to create a pharmacy club at my college mainly to have pre-pharmacy student intrested in volunteering at free clinics on weekends ever 3 or 4 weekends.

My professor asked if it would do anything else
Does anyone know of anyother thing a pharmacy club at a college would do?
Ideas...

Members don't see this ad.

i started the club from the ground up at my school and we did lots of things all over campus. we had bi-monthly meetings where we would talk about the progress of everyone's school work community job opportunities for technicians. we also would plan activities to volunteer around campus. examples include volunteering as a group for community service events and handing out condoms and std pamphlets in the quad to students the week before spring break. in the winter we would hand out samples of purell with information about the importance of germ control.

we also had speakers come in monthly to give advice. we've had previously accepted pharmacy school students come and tell about the workload and application of process, pharmacy advisors come by each semester to help pick out the correct classes, and visitors from surrounding colleges of pharmacy stop by to tell of their programs and admissions requirements.

for fund raisers, we had food booths in the quad. we also sold humorous science related t-shirts to other students in the college of science. our most profitable fund raiser was the printing of the power point notes of the CHEM 1300 classes, binding them, and selling them to the underclassmen so they didn't have to print them out weekly.

the best part of starting a pre pharmacy group was how awesome it looks when interviewing at the CoP. it gives you a lot to talk about and shows that you take some initiative. i know it scored me a lot of points on the interviews i went to. good luck!

We also talked with Kaplan and had them come in once a year and give us a test that would show us what to expect on the PCAT. They did it for free, and they would give a score on what they project you to get on the PCAT based off that preliminary score. Obviously, they want you to pay for their course, but you aren't obligated in the least. Most haven't taken the o-chem, micro, anatomy, etc. so the score is pretty low. It's designed to scare you into paying for their course. They don't teach content so much as they teach how to take the test.

You should schedule some fun events like a cookout with volleyball or other fun activities. This is a club aimed at getting into a professional school, but you should always fit time in to have fun and relieve stress.

Look around on your campus and see if they have a career services office. Talk with them and see if they can help you prepare for the interviews by setting up mock interviews.

See if you can get a deal with the English department to have either some seniors or grad students to review personal statements for grammar and spelling mistakes for a small fee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have meetings where pharmacy school representatives come and talk about their program. I loved those meetings, very informative.

Discuss the application process, hold mock interviews, bring in speakers to talk about their experiences as pharmacists or pharmacy students....
Well thank you to all of you!
If anyone has anyother suggestions I would love to have them.
So far its basically :
1. Volunteer at free clinics
2. Speakers
3. Mock Interviews
4. T-shirts and fund raiseres
5. seminars
6. mock interviews

anyothers?

So far its basically :
2. Speakers
3. Mock Interviews
5. seminars
6. mock interviews

anyothers?

You could coordinate tours to pharmacy schools if there are some close to your school. School days are best so that you can see the daily life of a pharmacy student. Getting a glimpse of a lab class would help too if the school wants to play ball with you.

Something my pre-pharm club did was get heavily involved in fund raising for our local Susan G. Komen foundation. I don't know how we did this year, but last year we were second or third in the city for fundraising groups. We also do Walk for Diabetes in the fall.

For those who started or had a leadership position in a pharmacy club: Did it seem to greatly help your application process?

I was thinking of starting a prepharm club at my college this Fall, but I'm hesitant because I'll be concentrating on classes, work, studying and taking the PCAT, and applying to pharm schools. I'm sure it takes a lot of effort to organize a club and activities from a fresh start. I have descent grades, great LORs, and a good amount of experience...so will starting a club greatly improve my chances?

(I realize that I should do something because I want to....and I do want to start a club...but I'm just weighing the benefits and seeing if it's worth the work)

Try to get some of your pre-pharm friends to help you out starting the club. If you tried to do it all yourself it could easily be overwhelming.

Try to get some of your pre-pharm friends to help you out starting the club. If you tried to do it all yourself it could easily be overwhelming.

I agree. I know at my school to start up an organization you need to have at least six to eight people. Trying to start something like this up by yourself, especially having no experience, is a daunting task.

As for being an officer in ANY organization, yes it helps you on your application. It doesn't matter really which organization you are an officer in, but it would look a little better that it is an org that's focused on pharmacy. It shows greater interest in the field and getting into pharm school.

I agree. I know at my school to start up an organization you need to have at least six to eight people. Trying to start something like this up by yourself, especially having no experience, is a daunting task.

As for being an officer in ANY organization, yes it helps you on your application. It doesn't matter really which organization you are an officer in, but it would look a little better that it is an org that's focused on pharmacy. It shows greater interest in the field and getting into pharm school.
THANKS for the ideas everyone!
I got 3 different documents written for the club
The constitution for the club was 5 pages long

BUT! Does anyone have any ideas on what I should put on the flyers to advertise the club?

My school's Chemistry Club had wacky, science-related cartoons on its flyers.

I was thinking of inviting a representative from a nearby pharmacy school to hold a talk about the career for interested students, and then introduce the club afterwards. And if you're allowed to, I would post flyers around the science building, career center, and cafeteria, library, and any "main" building.

Remind me again, what is a PCAT party...not too familiar with these?
Sounds good tho

Well, it kinda depends on the age composition of your group. That is, it depends on how many of your members are 21 or pretend to be 21 for some purposes.;)

Basically, it could be nice to have a social unwinding party after a stressful day taking a critical test for pharmacy school. The October date would probably be the best time to do this given that many people take it then. Those who don't can get instant impressions of the exam from those who took the exam.

So far its basically :
2. Speakers
3. Mock Interviews
5. seminars
6. mock interviews

anyothers?
7. have a place to eat food/unwind/shoot the sh@t
8. a comfortable place to study especially during midterms/finals.
9. discuss school schedules/tutoring, etc.