Pharmacy Experience in a Veterinary Hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cms07c

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To start, sorry if this is a repetitive thread; I searched around but couldn't find anything.

I currently work at an animal hospital as a vet tech where part of my job requires me to handle medications. Besides giving meds, I also dispense meds, call in prescriptions, and go over the medications with clients.

Although I am trying to find a job as a pharm tech in a pharmacy setting, it is very difficult; Therefore, I am relying on this to count as experience.

Would adcoms consider this as pharmacy experience? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

To start, sorry if this is a repetitive thread; I searched around but couldn't find anything.

I currently work at an animal hospital as a vet tech where part of my job requires me to handle medications. Besides giving meds, I also dispense meds, call in prescriptions, and go over the medications with clients.

Although I am trying to find a job as a pharm tech in a pharmacy setting, it is very difficult; Therefore, I am relying on this to count as experience.

Would adcoms consider this as pharmacy experience? Thank you!

Yes.

Yes, it definitely will.

I worked as a vet tech for almost a year, and it was the bulk of my experiential hours on my application. I did shadow a community pharmacist at an independent pharmacy several times, but I never did land a job at a community pharmacy.

One of the veterinarians from the practice at which I worked wrote a letter of reference for me, and I incorporated some of my experiences from the animal hospital into my personal statement, as well. I feel as though all of this really helped me to stand out to the admissions committee.

Last edited: