Pharmacy Job Market/Outlook

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Pillmaster, May 26, 2005.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. futurefarm

futurefarm

Sep 4, 2017
    Just curious, do you guys know what the pharmacy job outlook is like in the Las Vegas/Henderson area? I see that Roseman University is the only pharmacy school in the region, does that mean there will be more opportunities available for employment, especially if you are a Roseman grad? Just curious, would love to start off working in the Vegas area, as it is cheap living and has a lot to do, thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. quickpic007

quickpic007

Sep 22, 2016
    depends on the state/area

better than most metro areas.

Not good or bad from what I hear. I think WG is #1 in the valley, if u get a job hook me up bro!

4. stoichiometrist

stoichiometrist 5+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2011
    It is saturated from what I heard. A lot of grads originally from the LA, OC, and SD areas are flocking there to escape the saturation hell that is SoCal. I expect it to get far worse as KGI, West Coast, Chapman, and Ketchum all graduate their classes in 2018-2019.

5. Sine Cura

Sine Cura 10 seconds or less 7+ Year Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Why would SoCal grads flock to Vegas? Roseman pumps out PharmDs left and right. Acute care delivery is dominated by UHS and HCA (at least relevant for PSLF).

6. stoichiometrist

stoichiometrist 5+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2011
    SoCal schools pump out PharmDs left, right, up, and down, and this is not even with the 4 new schools that are about to graduate their first classes in the next 1-2 years. In this sense, Vegas might be slightly less saturated than SoCal.

7. quickpic007

quickpic007

Sep 22, 2016
    Because its a much better place to live than socal in my opinion. Reasonable housing, great airport, nice weather save for a few months. No income tax.

8. 74777

74777 Managed care 5+ Year Member

Jul 1, 2011
    I also did not work during school (I preferred playing League of legends and Pokemon Go with friends, working out, cooking at home, and getting full 8 hours of sleep daily along with daily 2 hour naps). I got my license in October 2016 and was worried at the time that it would take me a year to find work. Luckily I landed a FT job a month later in November in socal for a major healthcare company (still working there).

At my school's APPE fair for 4th year rotations, one of the nuclear pharmacist preceptors went on a rant proclaiming out loud I would not end up graduating pharmacy school and that no one would be interested in hiring me. He made a scene out of my lack of experience and told me I could not sign up for his rotation (which I didn't have an issue with -- I would not want to work with a pharmacist with his kind of composure). All this despite my insistence that lack of work experience does not necessarily reflect laziness or carelessness and that I was willing to put in the required effort and time. This created an embarrassing scene for me quite frankly as it was in front of my classmates. For anyone in my situation all hope is certainly not lost. There are kinder tides out there as long as you are not willing to give up.

Hopefully things are working out for you. Never stop applying and apply widely!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017 at 10:30 PM
  9. TheBlaah

TheBlaah 7+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I dunno. Kinda seems to me, at least from the context given, that this is exactly what it reflected.

In any case, I agree. Just need to keep chipping away.

10. 74777

74777 Managed care 5+ Year Member

Jul 1, 2011
    I forgot to mention a few of my own personal circumstances. I had been investing my time in something non-pharmacy related that only came up while in pharmacy school and had the potential to become more lucrative and fun than a career in pharmacy (related to streaming/computer games). Didn't work out, but I don't regret the choices I made because of the unique experiences they garnered me. Surprisingly, I mentioned this two of the interviews I went to, and both employers did not hold that against me and were instead seemingly receptive (I received job offers at both interviews). Each person would have their own reasons for not working while in pharmacy school. I think it's unfair to say assign a blanket label to all who don't work during pharmacy school as being lazy without first understanding their experiences. I didn't completely explain my own so I understand.

It was also merely a lifestyle choice, being able to look out for my health and focus on school. In a life where the choices are sleep, play, work, or study/school, time allows for 3 of them -- you choose. The conundrum is we sacrifice our health for wealth, then end up spending tremendous wealth trying to get our health back later. Except all the wealth in the world could not afford you your former state of health. I found an opportunity to make time for my health for four years and took advantage of it with the understanding that once you start working as pharmacist, it is likely to be all downhill from their in terms of how your health fares.