Pharmacy Job Prospect in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dn298890

Does anyone know the job prospect in Canada?

From what I've seen, in US pharmacy schools are opening up uncontrollably, causing saturation in the field, thus lower wages, etc etc.

Is it going to be about the same in Canada as well?

or since Canada has only 10 pharmacy schools (used to be 9, but waterloo opened), is saturation not happening ?

Members don't see this ad.

Having talked to my boss, who owns an independent pharmacy, my understanding is that we're not nearly in the same situation. Pharmacists are still in demand and will be for a long time. I imagine salaries would also increase over time. You have to remember that the baby boomer generation is retiring and there will be great stress on the health care system, making pharmacists an extremely crucial part of the health care team. There are also offers for pharmacists in northern areas of Canada that are in large demand.
Also, none of our programs are PharmD like the states, so if the switch is made in Canada to PharmD, we could see an increase in salaries.
Pharmacists roles are also changing and could be drastically different in 5 years. I don't know what effect that will have, but it surely won't be negative.
Pharmacy will be a growing occupation in Canada for years to come, so don't worry about it.