Pharmacy jobs contracted by the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My uncle is working in IT and making 200k untaxed by working a contract in Iraq. The last recruiter I spoke to said that almost all the pharmacists working for the military are contracted out. Has anyone heard of the military contracting out pharmacist jobs for Iraq and Afghanistan?

Members don't see this ad.

killer4605

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ethyl said:
My uncle is working in IT and making 200k untaxed by working a contract in Iraq. The last recruiter I spoke to said that almost all the pharmacists working for the military are contracted out. Has anyone heard of the military contracting out pharmacist jobs for Iraq and Afghanistan?

has he had any issues with safety?

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not at all... he worked last year in Afghanistan. Now he's in Iraq for a second year. He's not allowed to leave the base unless there's an emergency and his work is needed elsewhere. And it's not like he really 'wants' to leave the base either. It's simple work like servicing computers and reloading windows whenever they get owned by spyware.

I guess the only danger would be from a very well aimed, insurgent mortar round (which is an oxymoron)... or if there was another attack by a mole in the Iraqi military... like the one last year in one of the cafeterias.

Members don't see this ad :)

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows? I figure those that plan to take the night shift straight out of pharmacy school would prefer this type of opportunity. A job that normally pays 90k here in the states should have great compensation if it were contracted to the military in a warzone.

Although, maybe I'm way off and most of the military uses mail order pharmacies. I dunno.

KUMoose

Grumpy old man
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've not searched for those jobs, but I've seen a lot of the IT jobs listed (not surprisingly they are network and telophony based). If you want to know what's out there go to KBR's site (www.kbrjobs.com). It's been my experience that professional jobs do not stay on the site long, so if you are truly interested, check regularly.

Given the Paramedic and Physician Assistant jobs out there, they likely pharm out pharmacy jobs as well. Although with a very limited number needed (far fewer then PAs or paramedics), they are few and far between.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
KUMoose said:
I've not searched for those jobs, but I've seen a lot of the IT jobs listed (not surprisingly they are network and telophony based). If you want to know what's out there go to KBR's site (www.kbrjobs.com). It's been my experience that professional jobs do not stay on the site long, so if you are truly interested, check regularly.

Given the Paramedic and Physician Assistant jobs out there, they likely pharm out pharmacy jobs as well. Although with a very limited number needed (far fewer then PAs or paramedics), they are few and far between.
Thanks for the info! I just got an email back from my uncle in Iraq and he mentioned KBR too. He said that they're not too nice to their employees though. :( "They treat them like crap." I guess I'll keep halliburton in mind after I graduate... perhaps as a last resort if I really want to pay off my student loans asap.