Pharmacy --> Medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted390966

i

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my classmates (MS1) just graduated from pharm and came straight to med school.

From what I heard from him, I believe that if you drop out of a professional healthcare program, it's a rather large detriment to your medical school application.

If you want to apply medical schools, I believe that you will have to finish your PharmD.
But all this information is only second hand, I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my classmates (MS1) just graduated from pharm and came straight to med school.

From what I heard from him, I believe that if you drop out of a professional healthcare program, it's a rather large detriment to your medical school application.

If you want to apply medical schools, I believe that you will have to finish your PharmD.
But all this information is only second hand, I could be wrong.

Not necessarily. It depends on the situation.

I've talked to admissions coordinators about this many times, and I always get the same answer. You have to have a reason for leaving that's clear, and compelling.

If you're not happy doing what you're doing, then pursue what you really want to do.

Medicine is FULL of people who left other careers, transferred from other healthcare professions, and yes, dropped out of professional healthcare schools.

I'm one. I left nursing because I was getting a 4.0, and wanted to do more. Instead of getting stuck footing the bill for a postbac, I get free tuition at all public schools, and decided to go to UCLA, which was always a personal goal of mine. The nursing school had one more spot for an RN --> BSN and/or accelerated BSN student.

PM a member by the name of "pfaction." He will be able to help you out.

I just talked to 3 front offices of different schools of medicine, asking the same question about leaving a professional school of health for medicine, and they all said the same thing.

You should discuss why you left in your personal statement, if you feel the need. Otherwise, be prepared to discuss it in your interview, if it comes up. You should have a reason, in other words. And, no, it won't hurt you. It happens all the time.

I talked to two SMPs about it, too. Same answer, pretty much. They said that they get students with this issue from time to time, and it hasn't hurt them in admissions.

PM received and answered as best as I could!

I left Pharm after 2 years and applied to medical school. Now a first year and so far seem to have a huge leg up on clinical stuff.

Had zero questions or issues with adcoms on my leaving pharmacy. Literally zero. Some asked why, but no one ever really grilled me on it/cared significantly, so I wouldn't agree that there is an issue with it. In fact, some interviewers didnt even mention it.

I think most physicians get why you would leave pharmacy for medical school. I however, did have a high UG/Grad GPA and scored very well on the MCAT. So that might have been the difference for me.

I applied to like a lot of schools got a lot of interviews, and got in to many of them, so it can def be done. If your application sucks, you will have a lot tougher time. But that prob has little to do with being in pharmacy school.

Well you probably didn't have to mention it in interviews. They see my transcript and my status and I'm on a torture device.

B/c your situation is quite unique, all I can suggest is attend one of those annual AAMC medical career fairs events that deans of admissions attend to meet students. Go straight to the gate keepers & tell your story several times to get a clear consensus on what to do from a number of deans.

A lot of deans will give you their business card and allow you to follow-up with them personally, to talk of your situation.

GL.

I graduated pharm school and went straight into med school. I knew I wanted to switch after 1st year, but finished for 2 reasons... 1. No guarantees of med school admission (no matter how good your stats are) 2. I went to a 3 year program and wouldn't be ready to apply until 3rd year anyway. Bonus that I work per diem now for extra money.

I felt that the switch was an issue I had to overcome more than anything else. There is always a concern that you will change your mind about med school after 2 years which is bad for the school.

Finally, I would be careful saying that you aren't interested in pharmacy, after all the two are quite inter-related.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this applies to the same notion of going from Nursing to medical school. I'm not sure what others think, but I've heard a few things on a train that admissions doesn't like people who "flip flop" and don't follow through a certain program. But if you have a compelling reason and interesting story, I think you'll be fine. Just be ready to answer the question when it comes up during an interview.

Spend some time reflecting on what made you go to pharmacy school and why you want to go to med school. Address these questions with sincere honesty. This is your best bet.

On another note, you posted in the pharm forum that you want to transfer pharm schools, so which is it? It appears you may have some soul searching to do. Then make a decision. The last thing you need is any excuse for med schools to think you are uncommitted to your endeavors.