1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Pharmacy OR BIOtech company

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by lostuc, Aug 9, 2006.

1. lostuc

lostuc Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello,
    Im sooo lost. Ive worked in an independent pharmacy for a year and ive learned a whole lot!!! After graduating this june, Ive been looking for a job for both financial reasons and to keep me company while i finish up a couple of pre-reqs at a jc. Now, I recieved interviews at both a well know biotech company to work in a lab, and at kaiser at their outpatient pharmacy. While one pays exceptionally greater at this time i feel that the pharmacy would be better along the road. DO you think the lab work would look good on my apps?? or should i stick to pharmacy even though it def doesnt pay well right now?? And i guess i wanted to do the lab to for new things to see if i would actually like the lab enviroment. Arghh Im so lost i have no idea whats best for me! PLEASE HELP:( what would YOU do??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PolarBear21

PolarBear21 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hmm.. yeah thats a toughie... I would be confused too .. haha ok sorry that doesn't help you at all.

Honestly though, I would probably take the labratory job to help me pay off my student loans during my year off. I would probably then maybe volunteer at the pharmacy, purely for letter of rec purposes and then apply.

Do the people at your labratory job know you are interested in pursuing pharmacy?

And I do think UCSF definately looks favorably upon labratory/research work... its really up to what the individual pharmacy schools look for in a student. Working at a pharmacy is probably your safer bet though in terms of application boosting, but working in the labratory definately will give you a LOT of experience.

Going around in circles...

Well goodluck with your decision.. you're in a good spot to be in anywhoo.. :luck:

4. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree - work in the biotech company in their lab.

First....you are using your degree in a productive manner.

Second...you are pursuing pharmaceutical research (assuming the research does have some bearing on biotechnical modality of disease - think of how you can "spin" your experience).

Third - you can always volunteer to obtain "practical" pharmacy experience - altho - there are lots of pharmacists who work in research & clinical trials settings!

Fourth - what is of real interest to you? That is what will come across in your application!

Finally - you already have pharmacy experience in an outpatient setting...how can you relate that experience to what you might be doing in your paid job? Think of how Enbrel or Procrit became drugs? Did you ever have a pt pick up those medications? Someone did years & years of research in biomedical technology - you have the unusual experience of being on both sides - use that in your application process!

Good luck!

5. lostuc

lostuc Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks for your HELP! It just sucks because I already said I would work for Kaiser and Im still in the interview process with the Biotech company....Any idea if they check to verify your degree and gpa status???

6. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Who? Kaiser or the Biotech company? Kaiser won't care if you have a degree or not - I'm guessing you're applying as a clerk or tech?

If you are applying as a tech with the biotech company....yeah - they might verify your degree, altho if you're a recent graduate, it will be difficult. They won't care what your gpa was - nobody cares in the working world. The only reason a degree check would be done is to place you in the right pay scale.

Why do you ask? Is there any question at all about the veracity of what you have told any of them? If you've misrepresented yourself at all - thats very bad news & will haunt you forever! Don't lie on an application or resume!!!!

I wouldn't refuse Kaiser until you actually have an offer from the biotech firm. So be patient.

7. lostuc

lostuc Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Well yea the problem with my Diploma is I havent received it yet so I have no proof that I graduated so i was just worried. No misrepresentation! I know im gonna wait till i get a job offere before decide officially, But my tentative start date is the 21st for Kaiser so Im hoping i find out by then. So if im applying to an entry level position do you think the type of degree will determine my salary? Because mine is just in Biological Sciences.

8. JYim

JYim Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    hey guys. i'm majoring in biotech.. and i have no idea what i can do with that in the future. i just majored in it because it fullfills most of my prereq for pharmacy.

so can i have some information? jobs/pay? thanks :)