Pharmacy residency, will I get into one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jointhepharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an international student who is in the P3 year of pharmacy school in the US. I want to do a residency for sure. I am in Rho Chi honor society, also the treasurer of it. My GPA is 3.6 right now. I got into the competitive research fellowship of my school last year. I got one paper published in this June, another one is in press. I am also lucky enough to be able to do my internship in one of the top hospitals in the U.S., and I have already completed my extra intern hours for the board exam. I have several questions.

1/If I were not an international student, what would be the probability that I would get in a pharmacy residency program?

2/I am thinking about using up my OPT to complete my PGY1, and hopefully get sponsored a working visa for PGY2, is that possible?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

1/If I were not an international student, what would be the probability that I would get in a pharmacy residency program?
depend on the programs you apply, and your other characteristics: clinical skill, communication skill, interpersonal skills etc
2/I am thinking about using up my OPT to complete my PGY1, and hopefully get sponsored a working visa for PGY2, is that possible?
it's possible. you need to start doing research on which programs accept international students. a lot of program only accept US citizens or permanent residents. Or you can find an American to marry soon (just kidding)

Hi, I am an international student who is in the P3 year of pharmacy school in the US. I want to do a residency for sure. I am in Rho Chi honor society, also the treasurer of it. My GPA is 3.6 right now. I got into the competitive research fellowship of my school last year. I got one paper published in this June, another one is in press. I am also lucky enough to be able to do my internship in one of the top hospitals in the U.S., and I have already completed my extra intern hours for the board exam. I have several questions.

Thank you

All that stuff, doesn't matter, I can tell you just as many people who matched last year, not in Rho Chi, haven't published papers, didn't do any internships at any hospital, below 3.0 GPA, so what's the point of me telling you this. It's that there's no secret reciepe, it just depends on more factors that you listed, I tend to put personality on the top of the list because you know how the saying goes, you can teach a dumb*** but you can't fix an ***hole.

I know of one international student at my school that matched PGY1, I think they are considering joining the military to get their visa or green card. Don't know much beyond that.