pharmacy school admission chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nate79

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to pharmacy school this winter for admission next fall. I took the PCAT for the first time in OCT and scored in the 99th percentile. My grades are not spectacular (3.0) and am wondering if anyone else has applied with similar stats and what sort of luck they had. Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on what school you want to go to. For the school I'm trying to get into, UNC Chapel Hill, you need at least 3.5 GPA.

Welcome to the forum, Nate. Which schools are you applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by nate79
I am applying to pharmacy school this winter for admission next fall. I took the PCAT for the first time in OCT and scored in the 99th percentile. My grades are not spectacular (3.0) and am wondering if anyone else has applied with similar stats and what sort of luck they had. Thanks for your help

I think if you look browse a bit on this forum, you'll see that good grades (or PCAT scores) alone aren't enough to get into pharmacy school. Volunteer, work in a pharmacy, get involved in school activities, learn to play a didgeridoo... I don't know... Like I said, browsing this forum will give you a good idea.
-jason

Nate,
I think your scores are pretty good and you would most likely be accepted to a couple of schools...the key is to keep your options open and apply to several schools. Don't have your heart set on one school because the competition to enter pharmacy school is getting more comptetive each year. I am pretty confident that a couple of my classmates at MWU-CPG wouldn't have been accepted next year with the increasing competitiveness of the applicants (does that even make sense?!)
Like Jason said, get some pharmacy experience if you don't have any already. I would say over half of the students in my class were pharmacy techs and I think that greatly increased their chances on acceptance.
Good luck! :)
Amanda

what school did you do undergrad? my associate dean said a large reason why i got in..was cause of my undergrad although i only had a 3.3.

Sorry to invade your forum as I am a future D.O. student but my wife is worried about her chances of getting accepted into creighton's distant PharmD. program. She has a 3.6 undergrad from a prominent private institution in PA. She has a masters in Pharm. Chem. and is currently employed as an associate scientist at GlaxoSmithKline. Her PCAT scores were less than stellar b/c of not having bio for a few years and the fact that she sucks at taking standardized tests. I tell her not to worry since she is already somewhat in the field and has shown academic excellence in her previous coursework. All I am asking is if these scores seem likely for acceptance. I understand that every applicant is different and it is hard to comment on a particular individual applying to a particular school. thanks

raptor5
PCOM class of 2008

I hope to get into UK, the only school in KY. I graduated with a biology degree from Centre College (KY), a private liberal arts school

Raptor5-
I really don't see any problem with your wife being accepted. Some schools don't even require the PCAT and in my opinion, most schools value GPA more than PCAT scores. However, if her score was really low, she always has the opportunity to retake the test.

Originally posted by AmandaRxs
Raptor5-
I really don't see any problem with your wife being accepted. Some schools don't even require the PCAT and in my opinion, most schools value GPA more than PCAT scores. However, if her score was really low, she always has the opportunity to retake the test.

agreed. as long as she isn't in the 50% tile or something dit's okay. Most ppl who come on this board say they've score in the 95% and up range. Well, this a standardized test and most people don't get that, to be more precise, about 95% of the people don't get that...that's why it's a percentile score. Your wife has good credentials/acedemia it sounds like so i don't think she will have a problem.

To answer the original Q, Your score is great, but your GPA is a little on the low side. Speaking from personal experiencce, our acceptance at Toledo was about a 3.5 (both science and overall GPA). It all depends. How is your science GPA (i.e physics, chem 1, chem 2, bio1, bio 2,organic 1, anatomy, and calculus - these are our criteria). If that is like a 3.7 or something and you just didn't care about your english class, you most likely won't have a problem.

As long as you apply to a lot of schools, you'll most likely get in one of them.

Hi, I am applying to NSU, PBA and Creighton. My stats are not very good (3.02 cumm. GPA by pharmcas and 69 PCAT) I have a BS in a pharm unrelated field. Anyhow, to my surprise I was actually granted 2 interviews (out of 3 applied schools). Has anyone been accepted with low stats, do they consider other things besides PCAT and GPA? :confused: