• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Pharmacy School Curriculum

Cyn0612

Jul 28, 2009
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello, I'm a sophomore and my major is Chemistry. I am looking forward to apply to a pharmacy school once I get my degree in Chemistry. Today, my advisor has told me that an ACS certified chemistry degree would be recognized nationally. He said that I can apply to any pharmacy schools and they would recognize my ACS certified chemistry degree. My question is that I don't know if this would work. Since I am planning to apply to multiple pharmacy schools, I can't really following the pre-pharmacy curriculum of any particular pharmacy school. Can someone please tell me if that's true that the ACS certification can substitute the pre-pharmacy curriculum? Thank you so much for all your helps

Passion4Sci

LML
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    Mar 18, 2009
    Palo Alto, CA
    1. Pharmacy Student
      Hello, I'm a sophomore and my major is Chemistry. I am looking forward to apply to a pharmacy school once I get my degree in Chemistry. Today, my advisor has told me that an ACS certified chemistry degree would be recognized nationally. He said that I can apply to any pharmacy schools and they would recognize my ACS certified chemistry degree. My question is that I don't know if this would work. Since I am planning to apply to multiple pharmacy schools, I can't really following the pre-pharmacy curriculum of any particular pharmacy school. Can someone please tell me if that's true that the ACS certification can substitute the pre-pharmacy curriculum? Thank you so much for all your helps

The ACS (American Chemical Society) certification is what, a 2 year program? I think, as such, it'll be viewed in the same light as an AA - Perfectly fine as long as your school accepts No-Bachelor-Degree students.

Now, that being said, you asked two different things. First, you asked if it's recognized by pharmacy schools... I'm sure it is. Not like it's some fly by night degree that means nothing. However, you also asked if it can substitute pharmacy school pre-requisites. Without question I can tell you no. Unless the degree encompasses all of the requirements, you will still need to be proficient in all of the courses that pharmacy school requires.

This is implicit in the word "requirement."

About the Ads

croquemonsieur

10+ Year Member
      Apr 13, 2009
      Best Coast
      1. Pharmacist

the pre-requisites don't vary that much from school to school, so it shouldn't be a problem. hope that helps.

crazybob

Jun 9, 2009
          if you're applying to multiple schools, get a list of all pre-requisites and see which ones overlap. and then you can see how many courses you have to take. if you can't take all of them, then eliminate one or two schools from your list and you can finish your major and all of the pre-requisites on time.

also, consider summer school if you can't finish during the school year.

AdamSanders

Pharmacy Student
          10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Sep 27, 2008
          Cleveland
          1. Pharmacy Student
            The ACS (American Chemical Society) certification is what, a 2 year program? I think, as such, it'll be viewed in the same light as an AA - Perfectly fine as long as your school accepts No-Bachelor-Degree students.

Now, that being said, you asked two different things. First, you asked if it's recognized by pharmacy schools... I'm sure it is. Not like it's some fly by night degree that means nothing. However, you also asked if it can substitute pharmacy school pre-requisites. Without question I can tell you no. Unless the degree encompasses all of the requirements, you will still need to be proficient in all of the courses that pharmacy school requires.

This is implicit in the word "requirement."

I think the OP means that the BS program at their school is ACS certified. I don't think it would make a difference in applying to pharmacy school. I know my program wasn't certified because my school doesn't meet the graduate per year requirement.

Just make sure you complete all of the prereqs for each school and you are golden.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.