Pharmacy School GPA & Residency (UCSD vs UCSF)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swth0208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a Pre-Pharmacy candidate with one acceptance to pharmacy school pending for one more pharmacy school's decision... I was recently admitted to UCSD School of Pharmacy and waiting for UCSF's decision. If admitted to UCSF, I have to decide by 4/9/2010. My questions are:

(1) How important is Pharmacy school GPA in terms of getting a residency position? Do you have to have a good GPA to get residency position? I want to stay in academia as a clinical pharmacist.

(2) If I were to be admitted to both UCSD and UCSF, it will be a very very tough decision because of the following reason... UCSF is the #1 Pharmacy school in the country but they have a typical A,B,C letter grading system.

UCSD has their Honors/Pass/Fail grading system so it relieves a lot of stress/pressure for students to always get that "A" (I think...). Although UCSD's school ranking is not "top" like ucsf but they have their good reputation in sending their graduates to residency programs (~60% of the graduates go into residency/fellowships; confirmed by the Associate Dean)

Does #1 ranking in the country outweigh the H/P/F grading system? Any input?

(3) La Jolla and SF are both great cities but personally, I liked SF better since I don't need to get a car in the city and loved the dynamic SF area (although expensive rent). I am an out of state applicant so any input in comparing two cities?

Thanks for all of your inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd pick UCSF

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF. Although you won't really be at a disadvantage either way. From a residency program's perspective, it's very hard to assess the grades of someone who goes to a pass/fail program. UCSF will give you a better opportunity to distinguish yourself based on grades. But keep in mind, grades are only a small part of the total package.

It's ranked #1.

Last edited:
Both are excellent programs and will serve you well looking for a residency. Ultimately you would be better off at the school you feel more in line with. You're likely to do better at the program you fit with best vs the program with the best reputation.