Pharmacy School Midwestern University vs University of Arizona Phx campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD4Ness

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone so this is my first post ever... I got accepted into MWU Glendale and UofA Phx campus. I am trying to make a decision on which school I should pick but so far I have been leaning towards UofA I need help and insight on both schools. If anyone has been accepted or is currently students at either school please tell me what made you pick that school? Also, in regards to learning material how much would you rate the school overall? This is the differences I have seen so far I really do need some help or insight so if you do know something about each school please let me know. Thanks so much in advanced! :)
UofA: higher rank (~16)
4 years
~126,000
Iv'e heard that at UofA if you take a class and get anything below a C they just let you retake an exam or class the next semester.
If I go to UofA phx campus is about ~20 min away and I can stay where im at now
Midwestern: lower rank (~37)
3 years
~264,000
I've heard that at midwestern if you take a class and for example get anything below a C they do drop you one full year.
work that 4th year and start paying off loans
if i do go to midwestern id drive an hr every day or id have to move out and live on campus, so id have to think of expenses that way.

thanks again. please help!!!! :angelic::biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Best choice: not pharmacy school.
Second best: the cheaper school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lol very funny on option 1 but yes option 2 is another reason why Im leaning towards UofA.
I would recommend looking at the naplex and mpje pass rates, and the percentage of their graduating classes that find jobs upon graduation. I would also recommend that you consider where you want to live and work after graduation, and pick the school in that area so you can network while on clinical rotations. Also, work at a pharmacy while in school. Lastly, I would not recommend going to pharmacy school at all. Job prospects are not good and will only get worse in time.

U of A is under much better management nowadays, I'd pick them for reasons aside for the lower tuition even if you get that extra practice year from Midwestern. There was a time where I would have told someone to consider Midwestern for the reduced year (and when the price difference was $35k over the three years), but that extra practice year isn't worth it as much as lower tuition now.

Isn't too late to go to Southwest Oklahoma though. You can finish in three to three and a half years at very affordable tuition rates and their faculty are well-respected for teaching good practitioners and not being jerks to the undergraduates.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently a third year student at the University of Arizona. On my last rotation, my preceptor constantly tells me they prefer U of A students because we are much more prepared than Midwestern students (probably due to the extra year of school). I am proud of this considering Midwestern pays sites to take their students while those sites will take U of A students for free (Hence the lower tuition). Of course, there are always exceptions. The only thing is with UA Phx campus, since it will only be the second year that we are having a full class up there, there are still kinks. What the school is doing though is having some professors lecture up there to provide equal opportunity for all students. Many of the opportunities are attempted to be similated up there but you still need to be patient. The great thing is that if you go to the U of A Phx Campus the first years are great leaders and are friendly and are excited to have another class there with them. Some complaints is the horrible Phx traffic to get into class that some students save only a few minutes when compared to driving to Tucson from Phx. The second thing to think about is what types of job you want upon graduation. If you would like to do residency definitely go to U of A just because there is an uphill battle for Midwestern students but if you just want to go into community pharmacy either school will do just fine. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
If I were you I would not look at rankings, they only reflect research spending and not the quality of the education. Obviously, Midwestern is a teaching university whereas U of A is more research so it has better rankings. If you look at the NAPLEX rate, Midwestern prepares its students much better than U of A. The extra income is a big deal, also add in 1 less year of housing. But if you are considering residency, U of A might be a better option. Overall, I think I would choose MWU.

If I were you I would not look at rankings, they only reflect research spending and not the quality of the education. Obviously, Midwestern is a teaching university whereas U of A is more research so it has better rankings. If you look at the NAPLEX rate, Midwestern prepares its students much better than U of A. The extra income is a big deal, also add in 1 less year of housing. But if you are considering residency, U of A might be a better option. Overall, I think I would choose MWU.
Don't worry about ranking but don't go toMidwestern. The extra yr you save by working, you gonna spend it on tuition. You think you can save $90-100k+ after tax money by graduating 1 yr early? Think again.

Naplex is a joke, and it still is if you put some effort. It doesn't matter where you graduate from.