Pharmacy School or Masters Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torachan17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hii!! I'm new to this page and I need help. I'm graduating College right now with a bachelors in Cell and Molecular Biology with a 3.12 GPA and my science GPA is approximately 2.43. My worst subjects in college for Chem II and O.Chem I and O.Chem II (got a D in all three of them). I really want to become a pharmacist,it's my dream. I've done plenty of community service and soon I'll be doing research. I was thinking of retaking those 3 classes or applying for a Masters Degree in Medical Sciences in order to enhance my GPA. I don't know what to do, can someone please help me.

Members don't see this ad.

Please don't waste your time doing masters if you want to improve your pharmacy school apps. You're just going to rack up a lot of loans right before taking out loans for pharmacy school. Plus it's going to take so much time. I would just retake those classes you got a D in. Research is a good idea. And if you can definitely try to get some pharmacy experience. Honestly I think you'll be fine as long as you can get rid of the D's you got in those classes

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Have you worked in a pharmacy before? You need to do so in order to decide that it is the right profession for you before you take out $200k+ in loans and spend 4 years in school.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would try applying to pharmacy school before resigning yourself to doing a masters first.

Please don't waste your time doing masters if you want to improve your pharmacy school apps. You're just going to rack up a lot of loans right before taking out loans for pharmacy school. Plus it's going to take so much time. I would just retake those classes you got a D in. Research is a good idea. And if you can definitely try to get some pharmacy experience. Honestly I think you'll be fine as long as you can get rid of the D's you got in those classes

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you for the input, I have no Pharmacy Experience, here in Puerto Rico are very limited to grad students letting them work or shadow a pharmacist unless you become a pharmacy tech. Over here it takes 1 year and a half and I don't know whether to get certified because it's too expensive and takes a lot of time.

I would try applying to pharmacy school before resigning yourself to doing a masters first.
Really?? You think my stats are enough? I haven't taken the PCAT yet (taking it in July) I don't know if I'm competitive enough. That's why I'm considering the masters degree first

The science gpa is a bit dismal for good schools, but your cGPA isn't too bad for the average pharmacy school. Your stats are enough to apply to the brand new schools that need seats filled. If you're aiming for a decent one, then I'd try doing well on the PCAT.