Pharmacy School rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well, a ranking system is useful. The reality is that people comes in different flavors, qualifications, pursuits. Especially when there is a competitive environment for a limited resource, eg. rotation sites and residencies, a ranking system provides a more objective and measurable tool of evaluating candidates.

Take PCAT and GPAs, undergrad school rankings for example. They are tools used to objectively compare candidate's for pharmacy school admission. They are not the entire admission evaluation system, but are great tools for initial triage.

Members don't see this ad.

well, a ranking system is useful. The reality is that people comes in different flavors, qualifications, pursuits. Especially when there is a competitive environment for a limited resource, eg. rotation sites and residencies, a ranking system provides a more objective and measurable tool of evaluating candidates.

Take PCAT and GPAs, undergrad school rankings for example. They are tools used to objectively compare candidate's for pharmacy school admission. They are not the entire admission evaluation system, but are great tools for initial triage.

Very true...

Hey, I completely understand what you mean. I am Asian so I KNOW that its VERY IMPORTANT to get approval from the parents! :laugh:

I applied to 4 schools and I only care about South and Mercer. (all the other ones I might as well withdraw b/c I do not want to attend) I LOVE south when I interview there! Nice people, SMALL class size, THREE year program, HOT weather, near the beach, beautiful city, did I mention THREE years?? :laugh:

The price of Mercer and South are about the same....110K for South (~9900 per quarter for 12 quarters) and 116K for Mercer (~29,000 per year for 4 years). (however with compound interests Mercer would be higher b/c South is only three years and I get an extra year of earning potiental! ;))

The ONLY advantage of Mercer that I have is the fact that my aunt lives in Altanta and I can live with her for FREE!! (but I don't know if I want to be living with my aunt when I am in my late 20s...:rolleyes: I need my own place..I don't even like roommates! LOL...)
Another "slight" advantage of Mercer is the fact that they are more well-known. If I wanted to do a residency I might have a higher chance at Mercer b/c they are more well-known. (but I am not sure if I want to do a residency...I prefer just doing retail but I don't know if I want to do it forever and I really don't know what I want.:confused: but if I want a residency I might have a better shot at Mercer, but that is just my guess...and its b/c Mercer is MORE well-known NOT b/c its a 4 year program.)

With that say. I do NOT think people that went to a 4 year program are better or smarter or better pharmacists etc etc. I think 3 year programs are just as good. But South is not a very well known school. I am not saying that South is no good, its just not very well known and therefore could post a problem if you want to do a residency.

So if I were in your shoes I would 1) find out how much each school will cost you! If the other school is a lot cheaper I would go with the other school...The LESS loans the better trust me!!! 2) if they are about the same price I will look into how well the other school get into residency programs...for example UCSF and UNC students can easily get a residency...can the other school you are talking about be just as good? IF YES and you WANT to do a residency then I would pick the other school...if you don't want to do a residency then I would pick the CHEAPER school!! It all depends on whether or not you want to do a residency. ;) Good luck I hope I helped.

You spent a lot of time on that post, and I appreciate it! I completely agree about south university about the class size, nice people, hot weather, beach, and three year program. If I put that city up next to nashville, it's really no competition (no offense to "nashvillians", I just love savannah). And to me, I almost feel like the atmosphere can play a role in me doing well in school and enjoying it.
In regards to the money....I think both schools are relatively equal, so I don't think that is an issue as of yet. You definitely could save a lot of money by living with your aunt if you went to mercer, but I completely agree with you; you need to continue that good college experience.
With respect to residencies: yes I would like to do one. If I don't get one, I won't be completely bummed out. In my opinion, I'm extremely lucky to be accepted into schools this year, so I think if I continue to make the grades, everything will fall into place in regards to a residency program. Afterall, South University and Lipscomb are both unknown programs so neither would probably increase my chances of a residency program.
thanks so much for your opinions, definitely helped me a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg, I wouldn't imagine taking my parents to my interview. But yeah, when a parent gets the 'red carpet' experience they automatically expect it to be the GREATEST school ever. I'm sure when we are parents we will probably be as impressionable on some things. But I'm glad you're gonna go where YOU wanna go. I remember having my dad persuade me to go to UF instead of FAMU where I was already accepted into their 6 year program. I don't regret it but there is a part of me that always wonders.

Regardless, though, I'm sure your mom will eventually learn to trust your judgment. She just wants you to have the best and I'm sure you know that:). Some of our biggest decisions are those that our parents don't see eye to eye with. But if you trust your decision, she will too;). good luck...

haha, yea, I never imagined my parents attending an interview until Lipscomb encouraged us to bring guests. Sure enough, I would've felt out of place without them, b/c most of the students brought somebody. Lipscomb, being a new college as of last year are trying to bring in the best students to lift their program so they definitely treated us great. We had a meal (with great my favorite dessert: cheesecake) with all of the faculty and I actually sat next to the lady that gave me my interview which was very cool.
But I know my mom wants the best for me like you said, and in the end, she said she will be behind me for whatever I choose which is a good feeling. It's weird though...on the way up to nashville she almost complained quite a bit about the distance, and now she really would like me to attend there....I just want to go where I'm happy, is that too much to ask for?...lol.

You spent a lot of time on that post, and I appreciate it! I completely agree about south university about the class size, nice people, hot weather, beach, and three year program. If I put that city up next to nashville, it's really no competition (no offense to "nashvillians", I just love savannah). And to me, I almost feel like the atmosphere can play a role in me doing well in school and enjoying it.
In regards to the money....I think both schools are relatively equal, so I don't think that is an issue as of yet. You definitely could save a lot of money by living with your aunt if you went to mercer, but I completely agree with you; you need to continue that good college experience.
With respect to residencies: yes I would like to do one. If I don't get one, I won't be completely bummed out. In my opinion, I'm extremely lucky to be accepted into schools this year, so I think if I continue to make the grades, everything will fall into place in regards to a residency program. Afterall, South University and Lipscomb are both unknown programs so neither would probably increase my chances of a residency program.

NO problem glad I can help. IF I get into South and Mercer I might have you ask YOU for help. ;) I will be more then happy at either one though....I CANNOT wait till I get a reply from South. :scared: If BOTH schools have equal costs and both have an equal chance at residencies then I would pick the school that you like the MOST....and if its South I would go for it. Don't put a deposit on both b/c its a waste of money...just like taking the PCAT more then once is a waste of money too. LOL...(I hope I don't have to take the PCAT again myself! :rolleyes:)

So are you wanting to do retail? what residency are you hoping for??? just wondering....The ONLY way I will go into residency is if I can't find a good retail position...I am hoping to work at Target (NO drive thru) and if I can't get a spot then I might look into residencies...but If I can find a spot then I will prefer that. How about you?

Just got an Interview INVITE to Mercer!!! I hope I am in YOUR SHOES in a few weeks!!!! :xf:

NO problem glad I can help. IF I get into South and Mercer I might have you ask YOU for help. ;) I will be more then happy at either one though....I CANNOT wait till I get a reply from South. :scared: If BOTH schools have equal costs and both have an equal chance at residencies then I would pick the school that you like the MOST....and if its South I would go for it. Don't put a deposit on both b/c its a waste of money...just like taking the PCAT more then once is a waste of money too. LOL...(I hope I don't have to take the PCAT again myself! :rolleyes:)

So are you wanting to do retail? what residency are you hoping for??? just wondering....The ONLY way I will go into residency is if I can't find a good retail position...I am hoping to work at Target (NO drive thru) and if I can't get a spot then I might look into residencies...but If I can find a spot then I will prefer that. How about you?

Just got an Interview INVITE to Mercer!!! I hope I am in YOUR SHOES in a few weeks!!!! :xf:

I still might 'cave in' on the whole deposit thing. I would rather not make a hasty decision...but yet, once my college spring break starts next week, I'll be able to think about this more.

As far as residencies, I'm almost clueless. I don't know too much about them...but what I do know is that the interview at lipscomb allowed me to talk to a nuclear pharmacist there and that sounded really cool. Aside from the weird hours, it definitely sounds cool. This could be an optional rotation that I choose to do; however, I'm sure I'll change my mind once I get to school and learn more about all of the different routes to go (oncology sounds cool too). Retail definitely sounds fun, but I think eventually (after umpteen years) it could become old (different strokes for different folks).

PS: congrats on the interview! good luck to ya and hopefully you'll find yourself having to choose between 2 schools!

I still might 'cave in' on the whole deposit thing. I would rather not make a hasty decision...but yet, once my college spring break starts next week, I'll be able to think about this more.

As far as residencies, I'm almost clueless. I don't know too much about them...but what I do know is that the interview at lipscomb allowed me to talk to a nuclear pharmacist there and that sounded really cool. Aside from the weird hours, it definitely sounds cool. This could be an optional rotation that I choose to do; however, I'm sure I'll change my mind once I get to school and learn more about all of the different routes to go (oncology sounds cool too). Retail definitely sounds fun, but I think eventually (after umpteen years) it could become old (different strokes for different folks).

PS: congrats on the interview! good luck to ya and hopefully you'll find yourself having to choose between 2 schools!

I know what you mean...I wish I know more about residencies as well..and I wish I can tell the future...Will Target Hire me as a pharmacist??? :laugh: If yes then NO residency for me! :laugh:

Keep me updated on what school that you choose!!! Maybe we will end up being classmates! :)