Pharmacy school with kids/pregnant/family?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soarhigher4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone in/were in pharmacy school with young children or pregnant? Anyone have to move their family out of state to start pharm school? Please share your experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not in pharmacy school, but I am working on it. I have 2 young kids and I am a single mom. I have had a boyfriend for almost 3 years, and he has helped out a lot but I think its almost over between us. I hate to break-up bc we have been together so long and my kids love him, (even more than their biological father, which they still see all the time) but I just feel like it isn't going to last much longer.... I was talking to a co-worker (who is a pharmacists) and he straight up told me that I shouldn't go to pharmacy school if my relationship is in the way. He is a not from the US, and he isn't the best at personal relations.. I haven't known this co-worker long but I of course it had me thinking.. but I would say you can have a family in school... I have been to visit pharmacy students and they have lives too, but very busy lives. You have to have support, a plan, a back-up plan and find out what is really important and you can do it..

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in pharmacy school with three kids - 9, 4, and 2. I have several classmates with kids, one of whom is pregnant.

It is hard, but doable. Having a supportive spouse/partner can make a huge difference.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been married through 3 years of pre-reqs (worked full time). And put my wife though Nursing school the two years prior to that. I'll be starting at Jefferson this Fall, and plan to have kids throughout the 4 professional years. For me, it's not a matter of whether or not to, it's just a matter of how. Easy or hard, we'll figure out how to do it and make do.....of course we both have parents in very close driving distance, so easy access to free babysitters is key for us.

Just had number 5, and most likely our last. I am a P2. You just have to find balance and having a supportive spouse helps too.

I had one child while completing the pre-reqs and was pregnant with my second while applying, interviewing, and finishing my last few classes. It was manageable with the help of my spouse. It is just really important to manage your time and stay on top of things.
I was accepted to start a program in fall of 2011. Mother Nature played a cruel trick on me and I ended up dealing with a nasty case of post partum depression after having my second last April. Fortunately, the dean was understanding and allowed me to defer my start until fall of 2012. If you are planning a pregnancy anything can happen. You could be dealing with morning sickness, fatigue, or other complications. Also, my baby still wakes alot at night. I am crossing my fingers that he is sleeping better this fall when I start classes. :xf:

I had one child while completing the pre-reqs and was pregnant with my second while applying, interviewing, and finishing my last few classes. It was manageable with the help of my spouse. It is just really important to manage your time and stay on top of things.
I was accepted to start a program in fall of 2011. Mother Nature played a cruel trick on me and I ended up dealing with a nasty case of post partum depression after having my second last April. Fortunately, the dean was understanding and allowed me to defer my start until fall of 2012. If you are planning a pregnancy anything can happen. You could be dealing with morning sickness, fatigue, or other complications. Also, my baby still wakes alot at night. I am crossing my fingers that he is sleeping better this fall when I start classes. :xf:

How inspiring, I too have a Child, currently pregnant, and applying. Interviews are next month and I am so anxious. Its been lots of work with one child and the idea that another is coming is mind boggling! It is great to know that it's possible. Congrats and hope all is well now.

How inspiring, I too have a Child, currently pregnant, and applying. Interviews are next month and I am so anxious. Its been lots of work with one child and the idea that another is coming is mind boggling! It is great to know that it's possible. Congrats and hope all is well now.

Wow. Thanks for your kind words. Good Luck with your interviews, the rest of your pregnancy, and the birth!! Things are much better now. I'm really looking forward to school now. :)

Good luck to you all starting this fall! I'm a single mom and will be starting my P1 year in August - moms are pretty much superheroes so I'm sure we'll all be OK!

Reactions: 1 user
Best of luck everyone!! Kids are a blessing and the fact that you and your spouses are able to work together so you can continue working towards your goals is Fantastic :))

I will start my P1 year in August. I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old. My relationship of 6 years is ending, so I won't have the support that I always thought I would have. It will be just me and the kids. I'm getting really scared that I won't be able to do it on my own. Has anyone gone through pharmacy school without any help with kids?

I attended pharmacy school for a year in an out of state school and I have a 5 year old. We had to move from Texas to the new state. It was very hard and trying to balance time between him and my schooling is very hard work. The pharmacy school that I attended before was mostly made up of younger kids out of high school, so I felt so out of place. That and coupled with a hefty out of state tuition bill for the entire program and other reasons helped my decision to withdraw and apply to KU (an in state school for myself). Luckily, KU is the opposite of my old pharmacy school and I enjoy the fact that there are more of non traditional students like myself and that the pharmacy school is very family-oriented. I knew that making this move was the best decision for myself and my son. Hang in there and good luck!! :)

Anyone in/were in pharmacy school with young children or pregnant? Anyone have to move their family out of state to start pharm school? Please share your experiences!

I am a non-traditional student at an accelerated college of pharmacy (3 year program). I started in July 2010 and am 3 months away from starting my third year rotations. I have a wife and son. I do not work as an intern as school is my job and my wife has a very good job that allows us to live our lifestyle. My overall GPA is 3.85, I am also the President of my class, as well as, the student government association at my school. It is doable, but it comes with a price. For instance my wife and I nearly divorced and I miss out a lot with my son growing up. I am thankful that my entire family is here as they help out a ton for my wife and son. Without them I do not know how I would do this. Anything is possible, just remember, everything comes with a price so you have to ask yourself what are you willing to miss out on?

Good luck to you all starting this fall! I'm a single mom and will be starting my P1 year in August - moms are pretty much superheroes so I'm sure we'll all be OK!

Moms are super heroes!

Yay! I've been accepted to Feik school of pharmacy in august and I'm due in July! There will be sleepless nights, but I am so excited to begin! :D:D:D:D

Hopefully I can keep up with my son who will be 18 months, and my newborn, and the course load as a P1!!!!

Coffee, coffee, coffee !