Pharmacy schools graduate class early to cover expected pharmacist shortage due to Covid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No worries, it will be at 70-80% due to self-reporting bias and the fact that residency/fellowship is considered "employment." You can make up anything as long as you caveat!

My guess is 40% of the class gets a residency (aka temp job) or part time or per diem job, 10% get full time 40 hours guarantee. The other 50% are unemployed and don't answer. The school will tell pre-pharms that 99% of their class got jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

You only need to "meet all graduation requirements," not necessarily be "officially graduated" in order to get your ATT. Most likely your school is filling out a form verifying the actual graduation date and saying that you met the requirements otherwise. So yes, it is possible to get an ATT before you walk at graduation... I had many classmates who signed up for the exams before we were hooded.

Applying to take the NAPLEX/MPJE is not the same as registering with Pearson VUE for your test (where you pick your date for examination), students can apply for NAPLEX/MPJE months in advance, but the rate limiting step is obtaining your ATT which THEN you register with Pearson VUE for your test date. My school, for example, will not send my graduation affidavit earlier than the set graduation date - even if I had my hours done early (maybe for logistic reasons?). Sure, there may be some students and/or schools who get their ATT before graduation date, but it is certainty not the norm.

Pharmacist shortage where??? Hahahaha. Pharmacists are LOSING hours right now due to COVID-19!!
[/Q

Shortage of pharmacist willing to work for minimum wage maybe???

Members don't see this ad :)
I did for MPJE. Not test dates until June 17.
Interesting, my intern said he can't sign up until his rotation is over which is next week.

I'll ask if it's the same in my state.

Guess Purdue did the right thing after all.....

Indiana just passed the law to allow new grads to work [for free, which will be a welcome addition to pharmacies and health systems who are strapped for cash and actively furloughing employees]
Let me fix that for you.

• Sad
This decision must have been in anticipation of second wave of COVID.
So far I am hearing due to furloughs and loss of rx volume the employment is terrible.

Another ridiculous article on the same line:

My rational response, which I'm sure everyone but the article author & the editor thought of (and possibly they thought of it too, but put out their fake article just to get their non-pharmacist pay):

1) COVID is causing and will continue to cause loss of pharmacist jobs for a myriad of reasons.

2) Even if COVID caused pharmacist job gains, those gains would be very short term, so the idea that we need more people to go to pharmacy school for these new COVID jobs is ludicious.

3) there will always be a market for crappy authors who aren't ashamed to embarrass themselves for $20.

But hey, at least this author isn't telling pregnant women to ask their doctors for a ACE-I prescription. (Or was that the crappy author in Pharmacy Times who promoted that?)

Reactions: 1 users
Whats next?

"University opens Pharmacy school with a 2-month program to graduate 200,000 new pharmacists for the next wave of COVID"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Whats next?

"University opens Pharmacy school with a 2-month program to graduate 200,000 new pharmacists for the next wave of COVID"

I laughed emoji your post....but I probably shouldn't laugh. Real life is becoming The Onion. :(