pharmacy schools in california

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillhappy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm actually a pre-pharmacy undergrad, but I am thinking the people who have gotten accepted into schools already may be a bit more insightful. I am currently sitting at a 3.05 (straight C's in physics, did not earn enough A's to balance this out) and was wondering if it's possible to get into a pharmacy school in California. I know that pharmacy schools want students who have activities as well but they do not outweigh good grades very much. So I was just wondering if anyone here has gotten into a pharmacy school with a GPA closer to 3.0 or below 3.2?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm actually a pre-pharmacy undergrad, but I am thinking the people who have gotten accepted into schools already may be a bit more insightful. I am currently sitting at a 3.05 (straight C's in physics, did not earn enough A's to balance this out) and was wondering if it's possible to get into a pharmacy school in California. I know that pharmacy schools want students who have activities as well but they do not outweigh good grades very much. So I was just wondering if anyone here has gotten into a pharmacy school with a GPA closer to 3.0 or below 3.2?

Thanks!

I've heard of many people getting into CA schools w/that gpa. Schools look at many other things besides gpa---extracurricular activities, pharmacy experience, interest---u need to be able to tell them why this the the right/only career for you...why u r passionate about it.

It also depends on where you apply--I don't know if UCSF or UCSD interview people w/a gpa in this range, but definitely try the other schools. I was told by the admissions director at USC that they're only interviewing people w/a gpa of 3.2 and above. There's a new pharm school in Sacramento, so u'd have pretty good chances there.
Do not let a low gpa stop you from applying. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be 100% honest with you, barring a downright miracle, you have absolutely no chance of getting into a CA pharmacy school with a 3.05. I was in a pre-pharm club at my university (UCSD) and made lot's of friends there, tons with GPAs around 3.0-3.2, none of them made it last year, they are reapplying. I got rejected from california schools and decided to accept to a great school on the east coast. I did have 1 friend who got accepted to Western with a 2.8 GPA; however, he was also the president of Associated Student Body and had an unbelievable application (other than GPA).

my suggestion is to take the PCAT and apply everywhere and choose the best school that accepts you!

if you have any questions about getting into a CA school feel free to PM me, i'll be completely honest with you!

Thanks!

I don't know anyone getting with a gpa that low, and getting into a cali school. Its unfortunate that because cali schools don't require pcat scores, they heavily weigh on your gpa. With that said, take your pcat, and apply out of state, or spend another year at a JC to bring up your gpa.

I'll be 100% honest with you, barring a downright miracle, you have absolutely no chance of getting into a CA pharmacy school with a 3.05.

I'd have to disagree that you have no chance.

HOWEVER, I do agree w/ him that you're fighting an uphill battle. I was accepted into Western w/ 2.89 science, 3.1 Overall . you're in the range, where they'll at least look at your application. If you search the forums, people will restate the same advice over and over on what you can do to strengthen your apps. For me, I was heavily involved in EC, research, worked in outreach, volunteer, shadow, etc. Do what you can. I took pcats too and did pretty good, but i don't know how much that was a factor for me. Retook some ochem classes where I earned C's. I wrote and rewrote my personal statement and essay questions at least a dozen times (not exagerrating, closer to 16 to 18 drafts).

also , apply early. You're already fighting an uphill battle, why put yourself at a disadvantage by applying right at the deadline. Start now so you can submit by July, no later than august. you already know what questions they'll ask, do those essay questions now.

bottomline, do a search in this forum, everyone will say the same advice. It's solid. Just keep doing what you can.
also, call schools to see what you can stress in your app, ask them to review your old app (if you're a reapplicant) and see what areas were weak. visit schools, go to their open house, ask current students these same questions.

it's not impossible, but it's not easy either

good luck,
cheers

Ditto what scrubsfan said. Don't just give up. However, if you take a look at the average acceptee's GPA for most Cali schools, you're up against some stiff competition.

Concentrate on extracurriculars, volunteering and LEADERSHIP opportunities. Research is a plus if you're able, but it's not the only option. If you're thinking USC, they will give strong consideration to those with formidable PCAT scores even though they don't require them, so study your *** off and do well (if you're wondering, this was the prevailing mentality of the student helps at the USC interview I went to this year).

If you can convince the school that your GPA is not a reflection of your work ethic and ability you have a good chance, I'd say.

You can do it, just don't lose faith because of your GPA. Concentrate on strengthening your app before applying in '09. Make sure to ask around though, the more you know, the better off you are.

Best of luck

It also depends on where you apply--I don't know if UCSF or UCSD interview people w/a gpa in this range, but definitely try the other schools. I was told by the admissions director at USC that they're only interviewing people w/a gpa of 3.2 and above. There's a new pharm school in Sacramento, so u'd have pretty good chances there.
Do not let a low gpa stop you from applying. :)

I didn't have a 3.2 when I applied to USC and I still got an interview... there are always exceptions!

USC will "consider" the PCAT so if that's one of your choices make sure you rock the PCAT. Extracurriculars, LORs, personal statements all are part of your application. Doing well in upper division science classes, even ones that aren't required, show the adcom that you can handle the coursework. And the earlier you apply the better!

I think with a 3.0 gpa you have a chance of getting into a Cal pharmacy school. Maybe not UCSF or UCSD..because i think they prefer a higher gpa. but for other schools like USC, UOP, western etc. i think you have a chance. I had the opportunity to talk to some admission people in Western and they told me that applicants with a 3.0 gpa, who also have a good application(good answers to the question, pharm experience, etc) have a high chance of getting an interview. The ones that really don't are the ones who are in the 2. something gpa range. After you get a interview, i think it all depends on the interview. because the writing portion is usally graded on grammer. So just apply and see what happens. Be prepared for the interview and spend some time on the applications, you'll be fine! :) This year i applied to cali schools and got an interview for UOP. Most of the applicants i met there came from really good schools and already had there B.S. degrees. Wheras, I applied from a junior college, and don't have my B.S. yet. I got accepted, and i really think it was because of the interview. So don't let your GPA stop you, because pharm schools look at much more then just your grades!

I had a 3.1 GPA and I interviewed at UOP and UCSF so you definitely have a chance. Don't let other people discourage you. If you want something bad enough, work for it and it will happen. Just focus on your studies and try and improve your GPA as best as you possibly can.

Good LUCK and Don't loose hope. I am attending UOP next year and I messed up on my UCSF interview but at least I got one. There were other people at the interview with higher GPAz and lower GPAz so don't get discouraged.

Good LUCK

I think with a 3.0 gpa you have a chance of getting into a Cal pharmacy school. Maybe not UCSF or UCSD..because i think they prefer a higher gpa. but for other schools like USC, UOP, western etc. i think you have a chance. I had the opportunity to talk to some admission people in Western and they told me that applicants with a 3.0 gpa, who also have a good application(good answers to the question, pharm experience, etc) have a high chance of getting an interview. The ones that really don't are the ones who are in the 2. something gpa range. After you get a interview, i think it all depends on the interview. because the writing portion is usally graded on grammer. So just apply and see what happens. Be prepared for the interview and spend some time on the applications, you'll be fine! :) This year i applied to cali schools and got an interview for UOP. Most of the applicants i met there came from really good schools and already had there B.S. degrees. Wheras, I applied from a junior college, and don't have my B.S. yet. I got accepted, and i really think it was because of the interview. So don't let your GPA stop you, because pharm schools look at much more then just your grades!

That's true...grade is not everything, one may never know if a student earned a 4.0 gpa through cheating if possible... and certain schools 'outside of california' needs to meet certain 'race' quotas, so if you're other than you know that 'race', it might be to your advantage to apply outside of california