Pharmacy Schools of California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JD_USD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok ladies and gentlemen of Cali (or temp-Cali's)

What were the best features of each pharmacy school in your own personal opinions of UCSD, UCSF, UOP, USC, Western, & Loma Linda?

And what was it about the one you choose out of them that made them stand out so much as to have you commit to them?.

Members don't see this ad.

JD_USD said:
What were the best features of each pharmacy school in your own personal opinions of UCSD, UCSF, UOP, USC, Western, & Loma Linda?

they are all in California :thumbup:

surgical said:
they are all in California :thumbup:

Ha Ha :laugh:

But really, so why did you choose which, if any?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'll give you my feedback from going through the application process last year, though as you can see from my sig I neded up taking a different path.

USC - for me the pluses were the combined degree programs, being able to do rotations at County-USC where you see a very diverse group of patients, and the strong sense of community and happiness among the students. For me the big minus was that it expensive and it's in LA and I did not feel I would be that happy living in LA for 4 years. That's just my opinion though.

UCSD - pluses: the integration with the curriculum for the medical school, the opportunity to get a very clinically-based pharmacy education, the top researchers they are drawing to the school in genomics and other fields, and the fact that the administration and students were gung-ho about making UCSD a top, if not the top, program in the country. The small class size and the very challenging curriculum could have been both pluses or minueses. The only clear negative for me were that it is a new program so they didn;t have a lot of combined degrees yet.

UCSF - pluses: location for me since I live in the city, it is the top program in the nation, amazing faculty, clinical and research opportunities. I liked their pathway curriculum where you picked the track that suited their interests, and that you could do combined degrees. Students seemed pretty happy and more laid-back than you might expect and it seemed like people worked hard and played hard. The negatives were that some students said that the curricumulm emphasized basic science to the point of overkill, and I have heard from people I know who go there that some people are very stressed out and study all the time. I also found their admission office to be really inefficient and difficult to deal with.

Overall, my top choice would have been UCSF had I decided to go the pharmacy route. Hope that is helpful. You can also read the interviewers feedback site linked to on the sticky at the top of the forum to see what other people thought.

These were my opinions 5 years ago, so things have probably dramatically changed.

UOP: 3 year program. Easier to get into. Pre-req's weren't as severe.

UCSF: Most prestigious school in the state (Best rep). Best/most complete education. Difficult to get into. More stringent pre-reqs. More study time needed. More stressful.

USC: Lone Coyote summed it up pretty well.

Overall the 3 year's did it for me. Plus, I had all the pre-req's done so UOP it was for me.