Pharmacy schools that don't look down at pre-reqs taken at Community Colleges?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBoy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having changed my career path/schools/majors quite a few times, I should have at least a Bachelor's by now at 22 years old. I decided recently to finally just pursue Pharmacy school once and for all. I've been a retail tech for over 3 years now, and I'm about to become certified in January. Plenty of contact with Pharmacists who can give me great letters of recommendation, even the District Managers of CVS in my area like me and would probably be willing to give me some LORs.

I've taken General Chem 1 & 2, Bio 1, and I'm currently finishing up Bio 2 and Calculus. I've taken a crap load of other general courses and electives (English/Literature classes, Psychology classes, etc).

I already have about $45K in student loan debt and I'm not even in Pharmacy school yet, or really anywhere close to be honest (well, depending on where I apply I guess). I'm thinking of transferring out of my 4-year school and going back to my local CC to complete my pre-reqs to save some money.

Are there any schools that have a reputation of generally being more accepting of applicants that have a large chunk of pre-reqs taken at a Community College? Specifically in the Northeast area (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachussets, Rhode Island, etc. I'm from Long Island, and ideally I'd like to attend a Pharmacy school as close to home as possible).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked into Midwestern? I know its not the northeast but they seem to not really care where the classes come from as long as you will have them done.

I have taken all of my science prerequisites at a community college and still have a couple more classes to take, and I've interviewed at both Midwestern campuses and been accepted to both.

There are many schools out there who do not mind where you take your classes. Taking classes at a CC only becomes an issue when you end up competing with other applicants who may have the same stats as you, but who have taken their classes at a 4 year inst. I know at many schools I applied to such as MCHPS and mercer, they said taking classes at a CC is fine.

Everyone in my graduating year took some pre reqs (Electives, gen chem) at their local CCs and still got accepted. Not a big problem unless like I said earlier, you are competing with others who have your same GPA but who have taken classes at higher institutions.

A lot of people are under the impression that CCs offer very inferior education. This is not the case at all. While CC curriculum is not as rigorous as 4 year int. they are a good idea for people who may not be able to afford attending 4 year inst. CC classes still give you the knowledge needed to excel in any profession Good luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished a handful of my pre-reqs at a CC and aside from two remaining schools I've yet to hear from, I've gotten interview invites to every school I applied to. None in the northeast though.

I finished a handful of my pre-reqs at a CC and aside from two remaining schools I've yet to hear from, I've gotten interview invites to every school I applied to. None in the northeast though.
How did you do on the PCAT?

85 composite
This backs up what I though. The PCAT is the equalizer. It doesnt matter where you completed your prereqs. PCAT is the same content for everybody who takes it. Its what proves to the adcoms how much you really know. Thats why the first two things pharmacy school look it is your GPA and PCAT score.

This backs up what I though. The PCAT is the equalizer. It doesnt matter where you completed your prereqs. PCAT is the same content for everybody who takes it. Its what proves to the adcoms how much you really know. Thats why the first two things pharmacy school look it is your GPA and PCAT score.

Most definitely. Adcoms are looking for well-rounded individuals, so taking classes at a CC isn't going to hurt if the rest of your application is good.