Pharmacy Schools that least prepare you for the profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinny808

ACCEPTED!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, or from what you hear from pharmacist talking about new pharmacy graduates, which schools do you think prepare you the least with the skills/knowledge to become a pharmacist?

Because as much as you want to say, all schools are equal, you know they're not.

And which schools do you think best prepare its graduates for the real world?

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, what are you talking about? The "real world"? Pharmacy school is designed to give you the knowledge to be literate in your profession, not teach you how to count pills and stick labels on bottles.

If a school was accredited by the ACPE, I think it's fair to say they don't teach you about pottery. :rolleyes:

Agreed, Mike. The school is there to be sure you pass the boards and have sufficient knowledge of the material.

What's the best school to best prepare you for the profession? The School of Life, with several satellite locations to serve you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some programs are more focused on clinical practice and gear students for residency. Some are more focused on community pharmacy. You have to pick the school that best suits you and will prepare you for what YOU want to do. For example, some students want to do more research so it would be good for them to pick a school with many research opportunities. Maybe that is what you meant...

Although I know of one school that is more of a "diploma mill" and has received constant complaints from students and pharmacists that have worked with the students, I neglect to name any school because it could discourage someone from attending that school. As others have said, some pharm students just do not mesh well with the school because they may have different goals/values. If you plan on going to any CoP, make sure it is the right fit for you.

Yeah, driving schools are designed for you to pass the road test but it doesn't mean everyone is equipped with the same skills or in this case, the same level of professionalism.

It would be ideal, that pharmacist never complain about certain the school's graduates, but it does happen. Its the real world. Like Michaelhardy has said, I've heard such complaints but I also do not want to name the school that I know of.

I sure hope every accredited school equips its graduates with proficient knowledge in pharmacy but some schools strive to exceed the minimum expectations, while others institutions do enough for their graduates to get by. And that is what im talking about. If all schools were made equal, you wouldn't have a top choice and a backup school when applying to pharmacy school. But perhaps RXlea is right, perhaps those graduates just picked the wrong school.

Last edited:
I sure hope every accredited school equips its graduates with proficient knowledge in pharmacy but some schools strive to exceed the minimum expectations, while others institutions do enough for their graduates to get by. And that is what im talking about. If all schools were made equal, you wouldn't have a top choice and a backup school when applying to pharmacy school.

It depends on what each students want, if it's normal retail pharmacy than the name of their schools shouldn't matter. But if it's research and academia they want, it's obvious that going to a school with research background will be advantageous. So it goes down to one's preference of what they want to do once they graduate. These back up schools are the ones that a candidate think they'll have a better chance of getting in with their stats, not necessarily it's a worst off school. These schools tend to be smaller less research oriented schools.

In your opinion, or from what you hear from pharmacist talking about new pharmacy graduates, which schools do you think prepare you the least with the skills/knowledge to become a pharmacist?

Because as much as you want to say, all schools are equal, you know they're not.

And which schools do you think best prepare its graduates for the real world?

First and foremost, to become proficient in any profession requires work from both sides: You and the School.

You can go to a top school, but not put in the work. The end result is a poor pharamcist... the opposite is also true.

The most competitive schools to get into should be the onesthat prepare you the best. I cannot comment on which provide poor education, but in general, all schools have the capacity of making a competent pharmacist.