Pharmacy shortage in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just today a recruiter was looking for a pharmacist for a few home infusion positions in NJ. So it's not all that bleak. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I got Transformer's back!! Touro Class of '13 all the way!
To all the judgemental little pricks all huddled together like sheep here, you best be scared of us wolves taking over!
Lower tier? I got my bachelor from Johns Hopkins University baby. But you know what? I don't belittle anyone. Everyone in my class is an equal, and we all have what it takes to help save lives in our own ways. We're in this all together as a team.
Have a bigger heart people. All you pharmacists took an oath...know your place in this tumultuous world. I'd call schools that crank out cocky elitists the lowest of low tier schools, cuz they lack in character development.
And don't worry about Touro. Touro's well established all over the world. They know how to make a positive difference in healthcare.
I'll tell you what I'll do after I graduate. I'll do you guys a favor and leave NYC for you to fight over and head back home to sunny Southern California. Or I may sign up with the Medical Service Corps in the Army. I got bigger things to do with my life than to size up to other pharmacists.
Talk about petty...

Last edited:
Let me make my point clearer even though you already understood me. I hope you get my point because I am actually saving your ass.

Lets just say that we keep on allowing diploma mills to continue opening up new schools. So far, NYS has been adding one new pharmacy school each year (with St Johns Fisher, Touro, and now the new school in Buffalo). I am not even considering the new schools opening up in Penn, Mass, and NJ. Lets just say that this trend keeps on continuing on (and god forbid, one or two more schools in the city). What do you think this would mean for yourself who would be graduating with a 6 figure debt, and to the profession of pharmacy? Does it make the profession better or worst? Why?

I would refer you look into the MBA and law professions to come up with a decent answer. Forget everything I said in the past and tell me what you think.

I earnestly appreciate your concerns for the pharmacy profession. I don't believe pharmacy will end up just like the MBA and Law professions. (no offense to MBA or Law professionals).

In my opinion, the number of pharmacy schools opening each year will begin to slow down and stagnate in a few years. When the AACP believes the rate of graduating pharmacists have met and will meet the projected demands, then they'll slow down or stop the opening of new pharmacy schools in certain regions.

The current trend of opening 3 to 4 pharmacy schools per year may seem commonplace now, but this will only be temporary.

Members don't see this ad :)
they need to start shutting them down, in that i mean they stop taking in new students. i recall fordham u used to have a pharmacy school but not anymore

What is the chance that I will find a retail job in NYC in 2013? Maybe there's a sweet nugget of a pharmacy right in the ghetto where no one else will be willing to work but me. I could wear full body armor to work! Probably still no huh?

"Picking up or dropping off?"
images