1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Pharmacy students acting like they are rich

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by RxMTM, Aug 15, 2011.

1. RxMTM

RxMTM Class of 2013

Pharmacy Student
    I am seeing that all my classmates are living extravagantly. Ever since P1 year, everyone has been like this. Is this dangerous? Because soon the market will not be as great as people are seeing it. Everyone believes they are going to be rich as soon as they get their acceptance letter. What is your opinion on this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Praziquantel86

Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It's always dangerous to live beyond your means. Pharmacy students just tend to be bigger morons about it.

4. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Probably true of all students.

5. Rockinacoustic

Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If they want to be slaves to their jobs to pay off their loans, let them be.

6. RxMTM

RxMTM Class of 2013

Pharmacy Student
    I've seen people going on cruises, overseas vacations, blowing money at expensive restaurants 2-3 times a week, and more. Most of these people have been living off their parents their entire lives and have never had a real job or real-world experience. It is annoying but thankfully I am very frugal and rarely buy crap I don't need. These people are going to be hurting when the bubble bursts.

7. nycrxdream

nycrxdream Scholar
    Pharmacist 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    what the hell lol. Im still conversing my money by staying in state...

8. PumpkinSmasher

PumpkinSmasher Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Maybe your folks pay for their tuition, you never know.

9. RxMTM

RxMTM Class of 2013

Pharmacy Student
    Some people get school paid for by mommy and daddy.

10. 1ive2die

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Well you can take solace in the fact that their meagre pharmacist salary upon graduation will not be able to provide the life they have become accustomed to as students.

11. R2pharmD2

Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    I'm not sure why anybody cares. It's their money, it's their debt, and they're going to be the ones paying it back. If I got annoyed every time I observed someone doing something stupid, I'd be a very unhappy person :laugh:

12. RxMTM

RxMTM Class of 2013

Pharmacy Student
    This is mostly true. What bothers me is that they have a sense of arrogance about them. Like if they are part of the wealthy high class. It is ridiculous.

13. Kansas Pharmer

Pharmacy Student
    There is only one problem with that: I see stupid people!!! :scared:

14. rph3664

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    This is what a lot of people do with their student loan money. That, and buying weed and other drugs too. :rolleyes:

ETA: My sister, who is not a pharmacist, got in trouble with her credit cards. She almost had to take a semester off from college (our parents wisely told her they wouldn't bail her out) but got her bills paid off in part by doing paid studies, including a 1-month vitamin deficiency study that paid $500 on top of all the free biotin-free food she wanted. She is much wiser with her money now.

There were some classmates that I just plain old wondered where they found the time to do all the things they claimed to do. One woman I worked with, who was a year ahead of me, was always talking about these men taking her away for romantic weekends in nearby big cities, and one time, she said, "Yeah, while I was there, his ex-girlfriend called." Ex-girlfriend my foot - she was probably his wife! That's assuming all these stories were true, because I worked pretty much every weekend, and whenever I was there, she usually was too. And nobody ever met any of the men she claimed to romp with.

#13 rph3664, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  15. Ackj

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yeah, a lot of people seem to have come from money in the first place. I don't really know about anybody using student loans to live it up though. There are definitely some people in my school with cars nicer than the faculty's. Student loans aren't going to be able to get you that, so you've got to have money already.

16. BrightLight

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Just because people drive Mercedez, wear Prada, carry Gucci, and expose their blossoming chest hair doesn't mean they pay for these things themselves. Just think of examples from Medicaid folks.

17. UES Girl

Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You sure you arent just being a self rightheous prick, counting someone elses money ya know ? What you would consider spending extravaganza is normal to some and has a relative definition. To someone people in our class eating ramen every day to save money and being obese is normal, I consider such poor diet just to save money appaling.

I probably come of like that " the obnoxious snob you described " to some - I tend to eat expensive organic groceries, shop at whole foods and do go out to eat to nice restaurants 2-3 times a week liie you described. But then again, I don't have a car, don't have a fancy smartphone with the data plan and have heck of a lot less expenses than average people do. As for restaurants, my parents typically take me as a treat.

So when my classmates made a few sharky noisy comments to me about this, I can't help but laugh. I spend faaaaar less money than some of them, so making comments like this on their part is ridiculous.

Overall, I would mind my own business and be more concerned about myself, rather than gossiping like a little [email protected] over someone else finances, especially when you don't know the full story.

18. sA x sKy

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The really don't understand the problem with parents paying for tuition. If they can afford to pay tuition, then why not? Most parents want their children to have a better life than what the parents had after all. My father is paying for my 6 years of school, and he already paid for my sisters UG at Columbia, and now, Georgetown Law.

Makes it that much easier for me to transition into a decent lifestyle.

And about the whole material aspect, yes, I drive a BMW 335i. So what? It's not like I didn't do great in high school to not deserve it. And I worked my ass of as a pseudo pharmacy tech in one of the three my dads pharmacies every week throughour high school. You guys generalize too much! Just cause parents buy their kids nice things, doesn't mean their spoiled, as long as the kids have something going on with their life.

19. 297point1

297point1 Feels like a 5 right now.

Academic Administration
    Nothing new here.

Back in the day, a friend and classmate of mine purchased a new Nissan Maxima on his credit card as a third year student. :eek:

Managing a budget was not his strong suit, but he turned out okay.

20. 297point1

297point1 Feels like a 5 right now.

Academic Administration
    That quote is not helpful to your position.

21. LazyMooch

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    This has got to be troll/joke poster. I think this is the third time you've mentioned "in one of my dad's 3 pharmacies".

22. sA x sKy

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I was trying to prove a point. If you or anyone else thought otherwise..then my bad. It's just that I've been putting up with BS like this with all my peers you know? And yeah, I understand from their perspective why I may perceived as spoiled but..I suppose it's just something you can only understand when you're in that persons shoes.

Again..this is a fallacy. I was trying to prove a point. I didn't get anything handed down to me, I had still had to take the train to Queens everyday (until I could drive of course) to work from 3 to 9. And yeah, hopefully once I get my PharmD, I'll inherit my dads business. Some people are lucky and some people aren't. That's life isn't it? I wasn't trying to brag at all, although with all these threads of even present pharmacists can't get jobs, I can understand how my statement could be misinterpreted. And if that's how you took it, then I'm sorry.

And seriously? You think I'm a troll? :laugh: You just joined 3 months ago. I've been on this forum since I was 14, I just never had anything to say until recently.

23. clachan3

clachan3 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    :oops: That's interesting. I didn't feel my classmates were like that. I have always lived a frugal life, but there are things that I didn't have the money for, such as a nice (not luxury) car. I simply think that we shouldn't spend money on things that are unnecessary.

It's true that some people have to earn their money and some don't. It's unfair, and a lot of things in life are like that. It is irritating to see someone undeserving to get whatever he/she wants, but we are lot better off than many other people who can't even put food on their tables. Sometimes I complain about my job, but at least I have one. I guess I'm in the "life is tough, suck it up" mood today. :barf:

24. LazyMooch

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm a frugal liver too. I'm hoping to pay back my pharmacy loans in 5 years and buy a house completely over the next 5 years. I'd love to retire at 55ish (or atleast move to part time).

25. rxlea

rxlea Almost a unicorn
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    LOL @ the above poster saying they didn't get things handed down because they had to ride the train until they could drive :rofl: sorry but thanks for the laugh.

Spoiled is the perfect word.

26. Digsbe

Pharmacist
    I've seen people live extravagantly at their parents expense and I find it distasteful. Yes, I receive my PELL grant, my academic scholarship, and worked full time to pay off the $1,700 in tuition that I still had to pay before classes start next week. I go to a private school (still pre-pharmacy undergrad but currently applying), so we have a lot of snobby rich kids that think they are better than others because of their unearned wealth.

I'm not against parents supporting their kids through school. What I'm against is an entitlement mentality and the arrogance of some people. I don't think this problem is strictly with pharmacy students (I see it in many fields). There is nothing wrong with spending money so long as you have priorities and spend in a mature way. Some people think it's important to spend a few extra dollars on groceries to get higher quality food. Others may spend some extra money on entertainment to help relieve stress. Nothing wrong with that. What irritates me is when people flaunt unearned wealth or think they somehow "deserve" it because they exist or did good in a class or something.

#25 Digsbe, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  27. PharmDstudent

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    A little bit of hard work is hardly worth a BMW. :rolleyes:

28. LazyMooch

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Sa Sky: Dad I got straight A's!

Sa Sky's Dad: Your school is luck to have you, here's a BMW!

LazyMooch: Dad, I got straight A's!

LazyMooch's Dad: Education is worthless! Go shovel the dog ****!

29. PharmDstudent

7+ Year Member

Lol!

You do great in high school, then you get a nice class ring.
    You do great on a test, then you get a new basketball.
    You do great on a spelling bee, then you get a new shiny dictionary.

Never, ever would I equate hard work with getting a BMW. That's totally unnecessary.
    If doing what's expected equals getting a BMW, then something's wrong.

30. owlegrad

Pharmacist
    I believe that is called "winning".

31. owlegrad

Pharmacist
    Don't most techs drive BMWs? Well they do if they are on Medicaid anyway.

32. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think it's a lot easier to not be jealous/worried/annoyed at things other people do/buy/have that don't affect my life. :shrug:

33. UES Girl

Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I knew me and you always had a lot in common. I can't keep wondering why someone is worried about other people's money and what they chooose to do with it. Go out and buy a lb of black tar heroine and a hooker whose ass to snort it off for all I care !

As long as they are not obnoxiously rubbing meaningless materialistic posessions in my face, I could care less. :laugh:

34. All4MyDaughter

Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist

You are awesome! :love:

35. taken2

taken2 Senior Member
    Pharmacist 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Someone finally said something meaningful on this thread. why are you worried about other people and how they choose to live their life ? is not like you will be helping them pay off their loan after graduation. #mindyourownbusiness#.

36. PharmDstudent

7+ Year Member

[​IMG]

I think that's called "living in a bubble".

37. pfaction

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    This is 100% true. I'm not going to say on what, but I spent 10,000$ of MY hard earned money in one month on frivolous ****. That was a huge mistake. Since then, I've pledged to save my money and haven't spent more than 300$/month. Hell, my bill last month incl gas was 90 bucks.

38. Kansas Pharmer

Pharmacy Student
    Not to be nitpicky, but I think you may have chosen the incorrect illicit pharmaceutical to be snorting off a working lady's ass. Or at least that's what I am told... :D

39. Dr Wario

Dr Wario Hey you! Want to try this pill?
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If what other do does not affect me, then it say they can do whatever the hell they want to. Let's not kid ourselves though, this country is going broke because the government's attitude towards money reflects the public attitude, and that does affect my life.

Let's take something simpler and at a more personal level. Generally, pharmacists are slaves to their corporate masters because they rely on their salaries for survival. The corporate masters use this to their advantage by pushing the pharmacists to just shy of their breaking points. Had pharmacists been in strong financial positions with the ability to leave sub-par jobs, the face of the profession would look quite different than it does now. So yes, the wasteful ways of other pharmacists does affect me, but that is ok, keep on buying your useless junk because that makes my ROI much more attractive.

40. All4MyDaughter

Pharmacist
    Naw. I prefer to think of it as "not being a busybody."

I'm not sure why anyone would waste time thinking about or caring what other people are doing with their money. We're not talking about anything that hurts anyone else. If one of my friends gets a BMW as a birthday present from their parent/spouse/sugardaddy, it has no bearing on my life. It's not like it was taken from me to be given to them. I wasn't going to have a BMW no matter what, so the fact that they do has no impact on my life.

41. All4MyDaughter

Pharmacist
    Exactly. I had a lot of rich friends in high school. Their parents earned that money and were entitled to buy whatever the heck they wanted with it. It didn't affect me. I have friends who borrowed the max in pharmacy school and traveled a lot, bought cars, etc. They are adults and entitled to do that if they want. I make my own choices and live with them and let other people do the same.

42. BMBiology

BMBiology temporarily banned~!
    15+ Year Member

Well said! I really don't care what other people do with their money but it sometimes amazes me that people would sell their soul to their corporate master for an extra bucks. You will never be wealthy when you work for someone else....just remember that.

43. njac

njac Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    ok one of my favorite typos that I see all the time.

heroin - illicit drug
    heroine - female hero

I wish you would not chop up the heroines and snort their remains, pound by pound :(

(and yes, some people do chose to snort heroin. Some inject it, some smoke it - so many ways to do it!)

#42 njac, Aug 16, 2011
  44. sA x sKy

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    To be honest, there was more to it than just getting good grades.Pretty much since I was a freshman, my parents have been pushing me along to become a pharmacist.

I was never sure about becoming a pharmacist but then again, I would be stupid not to become one when I have my dads business already setup. All of my fathers friends are all pharmacists (most of them went to school together from Bangladesh) and most of their sons/daughters took the pharmacy path as well.

So they, and my friends, eventually convinced me my senior year to go through the 6 year direct program and surprisingly, my father bought me the BMW for two reasons, one, for making him happy that I was going to become a pharmacist like him, and two, my school is 20 minutes from where I live. I might as well try to make the most of the next 6 years by driving in some style right?

45. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I used to have a few Prada shirts. $15 each...on the expensive rack at Goodwill.

46. WVUPharm2007

Pharmacist
    This is the funniest **** I've read all day.

Of course, a 3-series BMW just says, "I'm not really that rich or else I'd have a 7-series...I just want the facade of rich."

College should be free, anyway. The children of the middle class have to put themselves in heavy debt to have a shot at a decent middle class life. Pretty much the only county that is like that. Of course, the US is ridiculously uncivilized, so nothing should surprise anyone. Hooray plutocracy!

47. Kansas Pharmer

Pharmacy Student
    While I agree school is WAY TOO pricey for what MOST people get out of it, I have to disagree overall. If college was always free, then it just degrades the degrees conferred. There is already way too much emphasis placed on BAs/BSs. Almost all of my friends that have vo-tech degrees (of which I already have 2) make as much or more $$$ than the people that got a baccalaureate and they have zero/zip/zilch/nada in loans to repay.

The only way you can make college free is if the requirements to get in are ridiculously stringent. Remember, the world still needs ditch diggers.

#46 Kansas Pharmer, Aug 16, 2011
  48. sA x sKy

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    You do realize that some people buy BMW's, other than as status symbols right? If you fail to realize that, then you, sir, are truly narrow minded.

I'm an enthusiast, and I love the car because it drives well. If I wanted to be a status symbol, I would have asked my father to return the bimmer and get a Ferrari instead. BMW's, Audi's, Benzs, etc, are a dime in a dozen in NY.

Same reason why people buy Rolexes. It's not always about the status. People buy them because the watches are truly timeless and are meant to last a lifetime, thus the exorbitant prices.

Clearly the lifestyles of the posters in this thread is too spread out for a definitive argument. Life isn't fair. Deal with it.

If it makes you happy, think of me as spoiled, undeserving, or whatever you want. Whatever helps you sleep at night. :sleep:

49. WVUPharm2007

Pharmacist
    lmfao...listen to the youngin complain like I give ****.

and the BMW 3 is a piece of ****. The only reason people buy that one is as a weak status symbol. If you were rolling in a BMW M3, I might buy the enthusiast angle. Otherwise, spare me. Its an unremarkable car for unremarkable people.

50. owlegrad

Pharmacist
    Until someone creates a sarcastic font, I am stuck with my signature. ;)

But seriously, getting a BMW for good grades? I would call that winning. :laugh:

51. WhiteSnows

WhiteSnows Think Right and Grow Rich

Pharmacist
    Same things happen to my school. It bothers me sometimes, and it is hard not to be bothered. But I am glad there are stupid people in the world and we are gonna make money out of them. Don't you think so?