Pharmacy Tech is not clinical Exp, is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elitehacker1337

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think so but do adcoms favor techs? As in pharmacy technicians?

Most clincial jobs require often long training over the semester that I cannot afford the time to attend.

I am not a tech but am trying to become one to have some sort of income as I really need to support myself financially for the app process in the next few years as I cannot currently do so.

The reason I ask is because this or any other job will likely take priority of clinical experience. which I have none as a entering Junior.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a friend who was a Pharm Tech for 4 years and she told me the Dean of one of the schools she was planning to apply to just straight up said it wouldn't count at all for clinical experience. Maybe someone with more experience with this can answer that for sure.

I can't think of any clinical job that wouldn't have at least 1-2 months of training. It's tough to balance that while being a full time student, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Of course don't sacrifice your grades though. Are you planning to take a gap year? How long were you planning on working for and how many hours per week? If you don't have time for training, how are you going to work a job?

I had a friend who was a Pharm Tech for 4 years and she told me the Dean of one of the schools she was planning to apply to just straight up said it wouldn't count at all for clinical experience. Maybe someone with more experience with this can answer that for sure.

I can't think of any clinical job that wouldn't have at least 1-2 months of training. It's tough to balance that while being a full time student, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Of course don't sacrifice your grades though. Are you planning to take a gap year? How long were you planning on working for and how many hours per week? If you don't have time for training, how are you going to work a job?
I'd imagine training can be done on the weekends? I will be able to work 2 or 3 days of the week which are the weekend and possibly Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're probably going to be looking for something in a hospital then most likely. Maybe you can work as a medical scribe in the ER or as an Emergency Tech? Of course there is more than that, but I just don't know off the top of my head. Those are more flexible with hours and you can work night shifts/weekends for sure. It's gonna be tough since you can only work weekends and Friday. Definitely limits your options from clinics or work places that only operate M-F.

Physical Therapy Aides don't require a lot of credentials. An inpatient physical therapy aide would be a good option to get clinical experience.

Pharmacy tech was good enough for my friend..:shrug: had a few thousand hours and now he is at a decent MD school.

Pharmacy tech was good enough for my friend..:shrug: had a few thousand hours and now he is at a decent MD school.
Did he have an otherwise exceptional app? I feel that pharm tech is just really half decent to make some money.

Did he have an otherwise exceptional app? I feel that pharm tech is just really half decent to make some money.

Nope, 3.6/508. Decent ECs but nothing that really popped off the page. Really great guy, and I'm sure he interviewed well.

They didnt consider it as clinical exposure but all my interviewers loved the fact that I knew about a different aspect of medicine one even told me that they thought I was going to say a scribe or researcher like the past 50 students they interviewed so I thought it was a plus for me but I also had other clinical volunteer to cover my butt

They didnt consider it as clinical exposure but all my interviewers loved the fact that I knew about a different aspect of medicine one even told me that they thought I was going to say a scribe or researcher like the past 50 students they interviewed so I thought it was a plus for me but I also had other clinical volunteer to cover my butt
Yeah that's the angle I was going for. General healthcare understanding by becoming a pharmacy tech.

If it was as easy to become a scribe, I would do that but scribe jobs are very competitive and I would have to drive an hour to a recent job that is hiring.

I would do pheulobotomy but I'm not too sure of the class and time requirement in California

Yeah that's the angle I was going for. General healthcare understanding by becoming a pharmacy tech.

If it was as easy to become a scribe, I would do that but scribe jobs are very competitive and I would have to drive an hour to a recent job that is hiring.

I would do pheulobotomy but I'm not too sure of the class and time requirement in California
Do whatever is easier, I loved being a tech and it paid the bills, I would just do some clinical volunteering on the side to get that done