Pharmacy Tech Job Quick!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redrum16

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently relocated to Sacramento from Los Angeles after graduating from UCLA with my BS. My papers are being processed to be a pharmacy tech. I need a job quick though! I've contacted several major chain district managers but they all seem to take their time with job placement. They seem to always say they'll get back to me in 2 weeks. Has anyone had an easy time finding a tech job and if so with what company? The longer I go without work, the faster my fiance and my savings go bye bye. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't go through the district managers. I've never hired a tech through my DM. Go to the individual stores themselves. Then go back again. Then call. Then stop by one more time. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

It is the pharmacy managers that do the hiring. If they need a tech they will be aggressive to get you in there as quick as possible. The DM could care less if the store is down 3 technicians, the longer he can keep the store running below budget the more he can fill his wallet come bonus time, and he doesnt have to put up with the extra work thats piled on that store because of it.

I think Gravy and I differ in our feelings about this, but speak with the store manager as well. I was hired bc the store manager and me really jibed. The pharm manager was never even involved in the process until my second or third day working there. A lot of store managers particularly at busy stores realize they need to get more help into their pharms and will hire.

Find a store that's hella busy and ask everyone there. Call back everyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I differ from the others on the thread. I went to store upon store in SF and got nowhere until a pharmacist gave me the pager of the district manager for Rite Aid. Then I got a job within a week. But I am starting as a clerk because I too am waiting for my certificate. From other techs I talked to who started that way, that seems to be the pattern at Rite Aid here.... work as a clerk until you have the paper, then move up. Maybe it is different in Sacto though since it is a different district. Good luck :)

Wow, lots of different ways to do it it seems. From being a pharmacy manager, I know that every tech that was ever hired at my store went through me first. I was the one who brought it to the store manager's attention, and so on. This was an Osco/Albertson's/Savon and a Longs.

But I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat. :D

The only district managers I've come across have been pretty tight with their budgets. The store managers are a different story, triangulations is right, they usually are pretty helpful in getting you help.