Pharmacy tech = medically related work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pharmacy tech for a major retail chain. I'll have been working there part-time about 1.5 years by the time I apply. Does this constitute medically related work? Yeah I know its technically medically related work but I don't exactly see doctors or patients getting treatment. I see a lot of the reality of insurance and learn a lot here and there about drug therapy and definitely have a ton of patient contact. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a pharmacy tech for a major retail chain. I'll have been working there part-time about 1.5 years by the time I apply. Does this constitute medically related work? Yeah I know its technically medically related work but I don't exactly see doctors or patients getting treatment. I see a lot of the reality of insurance and learn a lot here and there about drug therapy and definitely have a ton of patient contact. What do you think?
I guess you could categorize it as medically related, but it is kind of a stretch. If you are trying to substitiute that for good doctor shadowing, I would say that you not do that. Your time as a pharmacy tech is good, but schools will want to see that you have seen physicians in action and know what you are getting into. If you are just trying to find a category for your AMCAS applicaiton, I guess you can use medical, but don't make it the focus of your activities.

The 3 schools I contacted indicted that they did view it as clinical experience, and there isn't any reason that they shouldn't. However, I'd definitely echo the suggestion of getting some shadowing in for your own benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's your only "medically related work", get some more experience from more traditional sources.

If it's what you use to get some cash, definitely don't leave it out.

Okay my time is going to be real constrained this year. SO I'm going to continue working @ the pharmacy, volunteer in the surgical waiting area of the hospital once per week, and get around 100 hours of shadowing in. Good?

I'm also a Pharm Tech at a major retail chain, but I also do ALOT of shadowing. I would say that being a Pharm Tech has been a great experience and I definitely know my meds better than the average pre-med student (I've also impressed some doctors on my knowledge of medications :) ). I classified it as medically related work on my AMCAS last year and this year (yes, yes, I unfortunately am reapplying- even though I am waitlisted at a couple of schools :thumbdown: ). Both of my interviews brought it up this year, so I would say it's a good EC to have on your application.

Okay my time is going to be real constrained this year. SO I'm going to continue working @ the pharmacy, volunteer in the surgical waiting area of the hospital once per week, and get around 100 hours of shadowing in. Good?

Very good

The pharmacy is a great opportunity. It teaches the service end of medicine and also it teaches you how to deal with sick people which shadowing does not. In my opinion this is a good predictor if you want to spend the rest of your life working with sick people.

Best of all the money is not bad especially if you can get into hospital.