Pharmacy Tech [Online Cerfitation/Class] - Pay and Experiance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dzialo

Transgentic Experiment.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am sorry if this is "OT", but I was wondering is there a way I can get an Online Certification as Pharmacy Tech?

• I am still in High School
  • I am 17

I can pay for any of the class fees, I just need a job for some slight income.
I will be attending Pharmacy School within a few years, and I was like to know would the experience form this help my in applying, or even when I get a job?

\\ I have no information on how to become a Tech, and what is the education I need, where I can get it, and what testing that needs to be done.

\\ I found this link: http://www.pennfoster.edu/pharmacy

I called them to ask about it, and they said I needed to be 18, and have completed High School or have your GED. I have neither, and I am 17, I will ne 18.

However... it seems like you just need to pay the cost of training, it seems they don't even look into how old you really are or ask for verification.

Would you recommend this, I would like to get a job at a Walmart or CVS as there are a few just seconds away. Do I need to be 18 or have a GED or High School Completed to take the Test to become Cerfified?

Thanks for any information you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
http://www.ptcb.org/

that is the main site for info on becoming certified.
for starters you need to have a high school diploma or equivalent and be at least 18 years of age.

you can also teach yourself the material (buy pharm tech books from amazon or buy online course packets) and just take the pctb test and become certified which will then allow apply for your license.

so you could spend the summer after your graduation studying for the pharm tech exam and then become licensed and employed as a pharm tech by the fall after you get your diploma.

search the forums.
there are already several topics made on this subject.

http://www.ptcb.org/

that is the main site for info on becoming certified.
for starters you need to have a high school diploma or equivalent and be at least 18 years of age.

you can also teach yourself the material (buy pharm tech books from amazon or buy online course packets) and just take the pctb test and become certified which will then allow apply for your license.

so you could spend the summer after your graduation studying for the pharm tech exam and then become licensed and employed as a pharm tech by the fall after you get your diploma.

search the forums.
there are already several topics made on this subject.

Thank you.

So do I need to have my diploma to take the Exam to become certified? I won't be done with High School for another 2 years, and I would like to become a Tech now to get some experiance and money, and then go to Pharmacy School.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you.

So do I need to have my diploma to take the Exam to become certified? I won't be done with High School for another 2 years, and I would like to become a Tech now to get some experiance and money, and then go to Pharmacy School.
Well the PTB dont formally check up on you and neither does the testing center. The PTB and testing center pretty much take your word for it.
When I took the test today they gave me a list of rules which stated something along the lines of "By signing this form I swear that I have a high school diploma," and that was it.

Of course after this and after you have passed and have certification you may need to get yourself licensed with the State Board of Pharmacy in your state. You should look into what your state requires of its pharmacy technicians. The state board may also just ask as a formality and may never check up on you to see if you have an actual diploma. However the pharmacists that interviews you may catch on.

I forgot to say that I am in California so things may be a slight bit different or completely different when it comes to becoming a pharm tech.
Check to see what your state requires.

Yeah you must have graduated high school to take the test. However, some pharmacies allow you to work as an uncertificated tech and get on the job experience. Call local pharmacies see if there is openings and if they would be willing to take you on because you are interested in going to pharmacy school.

Well the PTB dont formally check up on you and neither does the testing center. The PTB and testing center pretty much take your word for it.
When I took the test today

How was the test? Was it hard? I want to take the exam next month. I study a little, but I plan to study more a week before the exam is given. What area would you recommend I concentrate the most on? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Yeah you must have graduated high school to take the test. However, some pharmacies allow you to work as an uncertificated tech and get on the job experience. Call local pharmacies see if there is openings and if they would be willing to take you on because you are interested in going to pharmacy school.

Yes, I actually did.
I applied for 4 Local CVS, all within 2 miles from my home for any openings.

I am going to apply for the Walgreens as well.