Pharmacy tech or Research Asst?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DianaUT06

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a small dilemma... I just got home from a pharmacy technician interview and just agreed to the job. However, I just got an email from a research professor at UT-Houston who would like to interview me and possibly offer me a position. I could still pull out of my pharmacy tech job if this other one came thru. Question is...do I bother with this research position interview?? I think I would make better money but I would also have to work farther away, meaning I wouldn't save as much travel-wise. Any thoughts guys? Would a research job in a med school be more beneficial to me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your dedication to science will be more impressive by doing research instead of the job and will strengthen your learning skills for when you get to med school. Plus, it will be something good to talk about in your interviews.

Thanks, I definitely agree with your advice. I'm meeting with the prof tomorrow. I hope they'll offer me the position!

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed. i think research shows academic dedication to medicine (that is, of course, if the research is medical lol)

i'd let the pharm company know asap though, i dont think its too nice to back out

Good luck Diana!! I hope you get the job at UT-H!

Thanks, Sarat! Interview went very well...the PI is very nice as well as the post-doc I'd be working under. Nice laid back lab, too ;) I should hear back in the morning, but it sounded very promising while I was there! :D