Pharmacy Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2badr

**Switch**
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you all think about pharm tech? I ask because I plan to work part-time over the summer as a pharmacy technician.I wanted to finish up this semester because next semester's load might be a little heavy.
I posted this question over the summer-Somoa you might remmeber it- but we did not have a pharmacy forum. Does anyone have any advice? In my state you have to certified so there is no way around that.You have to take pharm-tech courses and pass the certification exam.

Members don't see this ad.

I worked at a hospital in the pharmacy before going to pharmacy school, very valuable experience. I have a lot of insight from the experience thatmany students don't have. It shows on the application that you are serious about and pharmacy and know what is invovled. I am not a certified tech, but from what I hear the exam isn't to difficult so it wouldn't require tons of time. Hospital tech jobs do pay more than retail, just something to keep in mind.....

Thanks for the reply tlh908. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's valuable experience if you want to learn about pharmacy, and make some decent money while you're at it. Hospital's definitely the way to go. You won't learn much that'll help you in med school though.

Originally posted by Samoa
I think it's valuable experience if you want to learn about pharmacy, and make some decent money while you're at it. Hospital's definitely the way to go. You won't learn much that'll help you in med school though.
I only plan to work part-time. That's okay about med-school,Somoa. I didn't really think overall that it would. But perhaps a leg up in Pharmacology during Med-school???

I went to pharmacy school, and I am currently in med school. Working in a phramacy, and going to pharmacy school, will help a good bit! You will know more about drugs, their names, pronuciation, uses, dosages, pharmacology, etc. than almost anyone else in the class! I have to disagree with samoa, and I think working in the pharmacy will be useful to you, especially if you do everything you can to learn, memorize drug names and uses, etc.

I'm interested in working as a pharm tech., but I've been having trouble finding a job opening for that position. I've applied at Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. Any suggestions?

Find someone you know who knows somebody who can hire you into a position. Other than that, it's very difficult to get a job with no experience. Or you could study and take the National Pharmacy Technician Certification exam. That would give you a decent credential.

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to see if my family or family friends know anyone.

Originally posted by BRUINGOLD
I'm interested in working as a pharm tech., but I've been having trouble finding a job opening for that position. I've applied at Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. Any suggestions?
Actually it could be geographical. I notice too that most of the retail stores in my area are not really big on pharm-techs. However I try to check the paper frequently to keep up with the market and it seems -so far- the jobs are in hospitals and industry. I think during the summer it will shift tho.I really need a night job because I plan to go to school during the day. If I cannot find anything next summer I may have to shift gears.
Do you have to be certified in your state?