Pharmacy technician license in AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashlee090

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to obtain pharmacy tech license in AZ. I know in some states, ppl do not need to go to school to become pharmacy tech. THey only need to pass the PTCB exam. Does it also apply to AZ state? I only have summer time to study and take the PTCB exam. I cannot go to school for 4 quarters to become a pharmacy tech.

I have pharmacy assistant license but a pharmacy tech license will help me to find a job better.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I want to obtain pharmacy tech license in AZ. I know in some states, ppl do not need to go to school to become pharmacy tech. THey only need to pass the PTCB exam. Does it also apply to AZ state? I only have summer time to study and take the PTCB exam. I cannot go to school for 4 quarters to become a pharmacy tech.

I have pharmacy assistant license but a pharmacy tech license will help me to find a job better.

thanks

No, you do not need to go to school. What do you mean by "pharmacy assistant license"? Do you mean "pharmacy trainee license"? If that is the case, technically, that is all you need to do to get a pharmacy job as that license enables you to work for a certain amount of time without getting certified. However, the PTCB certification will allow you to get a full pharmacy technician license. All you have to do is register for and the take the exam. No schooling required. Once you have the certification, you can apply for tech jobs. Although, if you already have the technician trainee license, you can apply for tech jobs now and let potential employers know that you intend on taking the PTCB exam. Are you bilingual? I know a number of pharmacies that will take techs without certification if they are bilingual. Unfair, I know. But, it is what it is. ,

No, you do not need to go to school. What do you mean by "pharmacy assistant license"? Do you mean "pharmacy trainee license"? If that is the case, technically, that is all you need to do to get a pharmacy job as that license enables you to work for a certain amount of time without getting certified. However, the PTCB certification will allow you to get a full pharmacy technician license. All you have to do is register for and the take the exam. No schooling required. Once you have the certification, you can apply for tech jobs. Although, if you already have the technician trainee license, you can apply for tech jobs now and let potential employers know that you intend on taking the PTCB exam. Are you bilingual? I know a number of pharmacies that will take techs without certification if they are bilingual. Unfair, I know. But, it is what it is. ,

For the trainee license in AZ, they give you 2 years to get certified...It's also $35 unless you already got a job at a company (Like I did at walmart) and they pay for your trainee/certification license(s).

Members don't see this ad :)
For the trainee license in AZ, they give you 2 years to get certified...It's also $35 unless you already got a job at a company (Like I did at walmart) and they pay for your trainee/certification license(s).

That sounds about right. OP, your best bet is to get on with a company that can train you for taking the exam. Some places like CVS put you through a training program where you learn all the sig abbreviations and what not. They will pay for your PTCB exam fee, too.

I use to work at Walmart here in Tucson as tech trainee, and they gave me testing materials that was equivalently thick as a book for the PTCB. Ask your pharmacist or pharmacy manager if they have them.

Last edited:
I use to work at Walmart here in Tucson as tech trainee, and they gave me testing materials that was equivalently thick as a book for the PTCB. Ask your pharmacist or pharmacy manager if they have them.

Yes that's true, they gave me 3 books to study for the license exam...I used to work at the Walmart near PV mall.

rxlea,
thanks for the tips.

I do not really know about the trainee license. first time hear about it.
I live in WA, and pharmacy assistant license just give me a job as cashier, or delivery(in hospital) in pharmacy. Not many pharmacy here hire pharmacy assistance....so I can only volunteer with this license. It is not technician license. I have to show proof of going to school to obtain the technician license in WA. I cannot do pre-pharm and pharm tech at the same time.

It is great that I do not need to go to school for the pharmacy tech license in AZ. I will move to AZ next fall.

So, basically, I just need to study from the book, take the PTCB exam, and apply for the technician license. Am I right? I will try to get it this summer so I will have the license when I move to AZ. With the experiences I have from volunteering, hopefully I can get a job.

Thanks.

Anyone know what books i should study for PTCB exam?

rxlea,
thanks for the tips.

I do not really know about the trainee license. first time hear about it.
I live in WA, and pharmacy assistant license just give me a job as cashier, or delivery(in hospital) in pharmacy. Not many pharmacy here hire pharmacy assistance....so I can only volunteer with this license. It is not technician license. I have to show proof of going to school to obtain the technician license in WA. I cannot do pre-pharm and pharm tech at the same time.

It is great that I do not need to go to school for the pharmacy tech license in AZ. I will move to AZ next fall.

So, basically, I just need to study from the book, take the PTCB exam, and apply for the technician license. Am I right? I will try to get it this summer so I will have the license when I move to AZ. With the experiences I have from volunteering, hopefully I can get a job.

I think your pharmacy assistance license is different from the technician trainee, and restricts you from doing the duties (counting pills, inputting, etc.) of a normal pharmacy technician, since you're not employed. A liability situation.

Here in Arizona, when you are employed, they require you to apply for a Pharmacy Technician Trainee license if you're not certified yet. When you take the PTCB and get certified, you need to reapply for the certified version of the Arizona license. You study from PTCB books, take the National PTCB test, and get certified. Thats all to it. However, I don't remember if you can get the Arizona license if you're not employed. I did all those when I was employed.

What part of Arizona are you moving too?

I think your pharmacy assistance license is different from the technician trainee, and restricts you from doing the duties (counting pills, inputting, etc.) of a normal pharmacy technician, since you're not employed. A liability situation.

Here in Arizona, when you are employed, they require you to apply for a Pharmacy Technician Trainee license if you're not certified yet. When you take the PTCB and get certified, you need to reapply for the certified version of the Arizona license. You study from PTCB books, take the National PTCB test, and get certified. Thats all to it. However, I don't remember if you can get the Arizona license if you're not employed. I did all those when I was employed.

What part of Arizona are you moving too?

I will move to Tempe for going to ASU
I dont know much about AZ
but in WA, i will not likely to get hired if I do not have any license. A pharmacy assistant license actually can have a paid job but not very common now. I volunteer in a hospital pharmacy now. Basically, I can deliver meds, unit doze, discard or clean up.
I will move there around August and also apply to Midwestern Uni on September-October. I am worry since I only have 1-2 months to find a job <It will look better on my application if i have a job/volunteer in pharmacy at the application time:mad:

REmember, any problems ask on here. Not likely we will do the work for you, but very willing to help you understand a question and how to get the answer.
best wishes.
johnep

I will move to Tempe for going to ASU
I dont know much about AZ
but in WA, i will not likely to get hired if I do not have any license. A pharmacy assistant license actually can have a paid job but not very common now. I volunteer in a hospital pharmacy now. Basically, I can deliver meds, unit doze, discard or clean up.
I will move there around August and also apply to Midwestern Uni on September-October. I am worry since I only have 1-2 months to find a job <It will look better on my application if i have a job/volunteer in pharmacy at the application time:mad:

Theres tons of pharmacy technician positions opening in the Phoenix area since its a big city. I don't think you will have a problem finding one.