1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

PharmCAS gpa calculations & pharm school admissions

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by pharmula, Aug 12, 2011.

1. pharmula

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm confused about retakes and pharmCAS gpa calculations.. I did lousy my first 2 years of undergrad for which i take complete responsibility for. I took calc twice and dropped it (so I have two W's) freshman year. Retook it in the summer and got a D. Now, years later I am taking it and working hard to earn a better grade. So my question is this, pharmacy schools require at least a C in calc. Do I need to get at least a C in this class I'm CURRENTLY taking now to fulfill that requirement? Or when pharmCAS calculates the math GPA and averages the D with the grade I get this time, is that the C requirement they're looking for?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RX2020

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Pharmcas calculate everything but W's since they carry no value in your GPA. It shows up in your profile but does not reduce/increase your GPA per their system.
    If you have a D (4cr. calculus) and you are taking it again and you come out with an A ( you have C+ average)

4. R2pharmD2

Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    You only need a C in the class you're taking now to meet the minimum requirement. It doesn't matter what it averages to, although with 2 withdrawals and a D it would certainly help your cause if you could pull off an A or a B.

5. Fuaaark

Pre-Pharmacy
    thought I was reading a post that I wrote, but had no recollection of for a second there lol

6. chrispharm

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Pharmcas will recalculate with the retakes. So, a D + B will come out to a C.

Their gpa calculation is the bane of my existance now days.

7. thesituation559

thesituation559 Ready for whatever
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Interesting. I didn't know pharmcas took the GPA this way. I like it. It's fair to the individuals who worked hard and got good grades the first time.

8. xNeenax

xNeenax Delano's Minion
    2+ Year Member

I like it too. Though some schools recalculate the gpa taking only the highest grades, which doesn't seem that fair to me, but oh well it's just something I have to deal with.

9. chrispharm

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

yea real fair for those who took classes say 10 years ago and still have to deal with it.

10. SparkleMotion

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'd argue that taking classes twice is a hell of a lot more work, time, and money than doing well the first time...