1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

PharmCAS gpa calculations & pharm school admissions

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by pharmula, Aug 12, 2011.

1. pharmula

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm confused about retakes and pharmCAS gpa calculations.. I did lousy my first 2 years of undergrad for which i take complete responsibility for. I took calc twice and dropped it (so I have two W's) freshman year. Retook it in the summer and got a D. Now, years later I am taking it and working hard to earn a better grade. So my question is this, pharmacy schools require at least a C in calc. Do I need to get at least a C in this class I'm CURRENTLY taking now to fulfill that requirement? Or when pharmCAS calculates the math GPA and averages the D with the grade I get this time, is that the C requirement they're looking for?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RX2020

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Pharmcas calculate everything but W's since they carry no value in your GPA. It shows up in your profile but does not reduce/increase your GPA per their system.
    If you have a D (4cr. calculus) and you are taking it again and you come out with an A ( you have C+ average)

4. R2pharmD2

Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    You only need a C in the class you're taking now to meet the minimum requirement. It doesn't matter what it averages to, although with 2 withdrawals and a D it would certainly help your cause if you could pull off an A or a B.

5. Fuaaark

Pre-Pharmacy
    thought I was reading a post that I wrote, but had no recollection of for a second there lol

6. chrispharm

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Pharmcas will recalculate with the retakes. So, a D + B will come out to a C.

Their gpa calculation is the bane of my existance now days.

7. thesituation559

thesituation559 Ready for whatever
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Interesting. I didn't know pharmcas took the GPA this way. I like it. It's fair to the individuals who worked hard and got good grades the first time.

8. xNeenax

xNeenax Delano's Minion
    2+ Year Member

I like it too. Though some schools recalculate the gpa taking only the highest grades, which doesn't seem that fair to me, but oh well it's just something I have to deal with.

9. chrispharm

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

yea real fair for those who took classes say 10 years ago and still have to deal with it.

10. SparkleMotion

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'd argue that taking classes twice is a hell of a lot more work, time, and money than doing well the first time...