PharmCAS letters of Reference-I don't know a pharmacist! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umhb10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the pharmCAS application, I need a letter of reference from a pharmacist but I don't know any. Do you know what questions they ask on the electronic reference form? Do they ask how long they have known me?

Members don't see this ad.

For the pharmCAS application, I need a letter of reference from a pharmacist but I don't know any. Do you know what questions they ask on the electronic reference form? Do they ask how long they have known me?

If you don't know any how are you going to get a Pharmacist write you a letter of reference? And Yes they ask how well and how long you have known the person.

Members don't see this ad :)

You don't know a pharmacist? If I were you I would freak out right now. Like everyone said they do ask those things, but you should find a volunteer position (or anything) in the pharmacy fast!

If I recall correctly, there are still many schools that do not require a direct letter from a pharmacist.

http://www.pharmcas.com/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm

Go through your schools of interest. It will tell you what types of LORs are required/accepted by the school & how many they want.

Not having a letter from a pharmacist is certainly not the end of the world... unless your top choice requires it. If that's the case, get your butt moving and find at least a volunteer position, or find another school you want to attend.

Yeah they ask you how long you know them as well as if they TRULY will recommend you. There is a questionnaire also as to how they rate you in various categories in addition to the letter of recommendation (I'm unsure if it is a number scale).

You better find one or else you're skrewed...

If you don't know any pharmacists, and the schools you're applying to don't necessarily require a letter of recommendation from a pharmacist; then wouldn't you be better off getting a recommendation from someone who has actually known you for a long time, and can attest to your character?

If you don't know any pharmacists, and the schools you're applying to don't necessarily require a letter of recommendation from a pharmacist; then wouldn't you be better off getting a recommendation from someone who has actually known you for a long time, and can attest to your character?

:thumbup:

Also, I responded to your question under the PharmCAS thread, umhb10. Please read the instruction booklet for PharmCAS - there is a copy of the questions in there. LoRs start on page 41.

Don't sweat it, OP, I wasn't able to get an LOR from a pharmacist neither :(

Luckily, there is still a good number of schools that don't require one (though most do recommend it).

The pharmacy I volunteered at is closed and it's been closed for more month. Now I can't get a reference letter from a pharmacist. This is a great example of working hard for absolutely nothing. +pissed+
Another bad news the professors I asked for LORs turned me down because they already have too many students to write for :(:(:(:(:(

What horrible luck. Is this a sign not to go to pharmacy school?

Last edited:
The pharmacy I volunteered at is closed and it's been closed for more month. Now I can't get a reference letter from a pharmacist. This is a great example of working hard for absolutely nothing. +pissed+
Another bad news the professors I asked for LORs turned me down because they already have too many students to write for :(:(:(:(:(

What horrible luck. Is this a sign not to go to pharmacy school? What that sermon meant for someone else? Whatever I'll still have my faith :cool:

Ouch :thumbdown:. I would go to the professors again and tell them it's not an actual letter that they have to write. It's more like a survey where they spend 15 minutes rating your attributes.

If I do find a professor that can write an LOR, there's a good chance it would be really bad. If it's put on PharmCAS, can I delete if I want to (without the professor knowing :rolleyes:)?

What horrible luck. Is this a sign not to go to pharmacy school?

You can't contact the pharmacist who you were planning to ask? I had to look in the California Board of Pharmacy to find out where my pharmacist was now working because he had changed jobs when I came back to ask. http://www2.dca.ca.gov/pls/wllpub/wllqryna$lcev2.startup?p_qte_code=RPH&p_qte_pgm_code=7200 is what I used for California... but I'm sure all states have something similar. Just punch in your pharmacist's name and hopefully something will come up and you will be able to contact them for a letter.

If I do find a professor that can write an LOR, there's a good chance it would be really bad. If it's put on PharmCAS, can I delete if I want to (without the professor knowing :rolleyes:)?

Not sure why you would ask a professor who would write you a bad letter... but in either case, I'm almost positive you can't delete a letter once it has been submitted. The only way would be to contact PharmCAS with a legitimate reason and hope that they can help you out.

This is new to me. What schools require a letter from a pharmacist?

Do schools accept pharmacist LORs from a volunteer position, or does it have to be from a real job?

This is new to me. What schools require a letter from a pharmacist?

Almost all of them that I've looked at. They say it's "not required but recommended." Or they want one from a healthcare professional.

Almost all of them that I've looked at. They say it's "not required but recommended." Or they want one from a healthcare professional.

Well, that doesn't mean its required. If your other stats are good, it probably won't be a deal breaker for those schools if you don't have one from a pharmacist.