Pharmcas Special Life Circumstances....do you think this is okay to write?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishpharm

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mother brought my siblings, and I to America to have access to some of the best education in the world. Not only was I expected to go to college, I was expected to be a doctor of some sort one day. Fast forward 24 years later, the youngest of four, I am the first person in my immediate family to not only attend college, but also graduate with a bachelor’s degree. Being a first-generation student places a lot of pressure to excel. Despite the ups and downs that came along with family member’s not being able to relate the challenges with higher education, I was able to overcome each obstacle to where I am today.

I literally just wrote this in 5 minutes, so I know I will have to revise. Is the overall message okay? I didn't want to go into too much negative detail about my family. My family is poor, and I've worked since I was 14 years old. The amount of stress, and disinterest in my college education that my family brought upon me really affected my grades. I did retake classes, and went up 2-3 grade letters. I have 3 years of pharmacy experience, as well as research & leadership roles. I just feel like a failure right now, and I feel like I need to explain more. Also, my mother was a single parent at the time so that didn't help much.

I just don't want to blame them for my downfalls. I want to sound positive.

Thank you in advance if you give feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Imo, these are some factors that have affected your success according to you. It's good that you recognize that. In your essay, don't blame your family or your background for your downfall, but talk about how you succeeded as a student despite these obstacles :) others should chime in too. i'm only 1 person

Reactions: 1 user