PharmD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samisab786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm going to be a P3 (5th year pharmacy student) and I'm interested in public health. I've read a bunch of introductory books on MPH and am just reading up some articles that might help me decide if I ultimately want to choose getting an MPH. My school does NOT offer a 6 year PharmD/MPH program, so I would have to basically find another school to complete my masters of public health. I just want to know what kind of job opportunities I can expect with a PharmD/MPH, if there are any books or online resources you may recommend or any advice you would give in the usefulness of getting the masters or not. One of my friends (not a pharmacy major) told me that piling degrees are unnecessary and that I should just make connections with various department of Health/Health faculty on campus. While I do have some professors involved in this field and have contacts with my state's public health association, I still don't have a direction or expertise on the realm of public health. Don't know if that makes sense. I am, by all means, ready to pursue the masters of public health as I find it very interesting, but just need more insight.
Responses are greatly appreciated!!! thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I'm going to be a P3 (5th year pharmacy student) and I'm interested in public health. I've read a bunch of introductory books on MPH and am just reading up some articles that might help me decide if I ultimately want to choose getting an MPH. My school does NOT offer a 6 year PharmD/MPH program, so I would have to basically find another school to complete my masters of public health. I just want to know what kind of job opportunities I can expect with a PharmD/MPH, if there are any books or online resources you may recommend or any advice you would give in the usefulness of getting the masters or not. One of my friends (not a pharmacy major) told me that piling degrees are unnecessary and that I should just make connections with various department of Health/Health faculty on campus. While I do have some professors involved in this field and have contacts with my state's public health association, I still don't have a direction or expertise on the realm of public health. Don't know if that makes sense. I am, by all means, ready to pursue the masters of public health as I find it very interesting, but just need more insight.
Responses are greatly appreciated!!! thanks :)

It's tricky to advise someone who doesn't yet know their area of interest, but a couple of possible careers you could look into further:

Clinical drug trials and pharmacoepidemiology for new drugs or vaccines, either in academia or with a pharmaceutical company

Epidemiology of drug resistance to antibiotics, antivirals, or antiretrovirals (academia)

Behavioral research on factors related to compliance with various drugs, either domestic or international

Drug policy and approval working with the FDA

Access and funding for medicines, for example with CMS (medicare/medicaid)

Health economics of different drugs or drug policies (national formularies, generics policies, reimbursement schemes)

Global health, for example working with international organizations that procure and distribute antiretroviral drugs; improving supply chain and logistics for drugs in developing countries; training pharmacists in developing countries; monitoring ethical or equitable distribution of pharmaceuticals in developing countries. Or related: advocacy for persons living with HIV or other diseases to improve access to drugs

I'm sure there are many others that I'm neglecting, but that's a sample. Big bonus: pharmacists that I've known in the MPH program had no problem paying for it. They just worked part time at the hospital as pharmacists which was more than enough to cover tuition and living costs.