PharmD, MS, MEd, MPH, MBA, FACHE, FASHP, FABC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a pharmacist with so many degrees and certifications!!! How much did he spend for his education?!! and time?!!

SCOTT M. MARK, Pharm.D., M.S., M.Ed., MPH, MBA, FACHE, FASHP, FABC is the Director of Pharmacy at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and is an Associate Professor and Vice Chair of Pharmacy Systems at the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy. He holds a B.A. (University of Western Ontario), B.S. Pharmacy (Ferris State), Doctor of Pharmacy (Kentucky), M.S. Management (Ohio State), M.Ed. (Illinois), MPH (Pittsburgh), and an MBA (Royal Holloway, University of London, England). He completed a 2-year residency in pharmacy administration at The Ohio State University Medical Center and is a graduate of the Pharmacy Leadership Institute at the Boston University School of Management and the Wharton School Executive Management Program for Pharmacy Leaders at the University of Pennsylvania. He is Board Certified by the American College of Healthcare Executives in Healthcare Management and is a Fellow of ASHP, ACHE, and the Advisory Board Company (ABC).

Members don't see this ad.

I've never seen a pharmacist with so many degrees and certifications!!! How much did he spend for his education?!! and time?!!

SCOTT M. MARK, Pharm.D., M.S., M.Ed., MPH, MBA, FACHE, FASHP, FABC is the Director of Pharmacy at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and is an Associate Professor and Vice Chair of Pharmacy Systems at the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy. He holds a B.A. (University of Western Ontario), B.S. Pharmacy (Ferris State), Doctor of Pharmacy (Kentucky), M.S. Management (Ohio State), M.Ed. (Illinois), MPH (Pittsburgh), and an MBA (Royal Holloway, University of London, England). He completed a 2-year residency in pharmacy administration at The Ohio State University Medical Center and is a graduate of the Pharmacy Leadership Institute at the Boston University School of Management and the Wharton School Executive Management Program for Pharmacy Leaders at the University of Pennsylvania. He is Board Certified by the American College of Healthcare Executives in Healthcare Management and is a Fellow of ASHP, ACHE, and the Advisory Board Company (ABC).

I am not impressed.

None of my beeswax - I want to know how it was all financed.

Members don't see this ad :)
....but how old is he?

It's not quite as impressive as it looks, considering joint programs and transfer credits. With a few more classes, I would have received two BAs in less than 4 years. Both of them totally useless! :thumbup:

I want his business card. I wonder what font was used to fit all that.

Management and the Wharton School Executive Management Program for Pharmacy Leaders at the University of Pennsylvania......

This is only a 1 week course, my preceptor had this and when i asked him about it, acting impressed, he said...yea dont be it was just a week of seminars

At my school's MBA program, most of the program is pretty similar to the MPH. So this guy gets an MS in managment, an MBA, a MPH, and then goes around collecting management certificates. I really don't see the point!!!!!

WVU's got Charles D. Ponte, PharmD, RPh, BC-ADM, BCPS, CDE, FAPhA, FASHP, FCCP

I typically do not see the point of listing both PharmD and Rph. Hang around in academia for 20 years, publish a few good papers and make a good network - you will get quite a few Fellow credentials. Not too impressive to me.

Heres someone I find to be impressive. Dude lists a single degree - PhD.

http://evolve.harvard.edu/DRLCV.pdf

Wow and I thought PharmD, FCCP, FAHA, FASHP, BCPS (AQ Cardiology) was a lot, and that's the most letters on anyone at my school (they took some of her letters off in her DiPiro chapter so she would fit with the rest of the authors), but apparently there are people with even more letters.

I typically do not see the point of listing both PharmD and Rph. Hang around in academia for 20 years, publish a few good papers and make a good network - you will get quite a few Fellow credentials. Not too impressive to me.

Sry dood, he goes all the way back to high school.

Edit: Oh wait, you are joking aren't you?

Sry dood, he goes all the way back to high school.

Edit: Oh wait, you are joking aren't you?

Oops I didnt see that he listed the high school stuff! But no I wasnt joking. He became a full professor in Harvard at the age of 32 which is ridiculously awesome! My point was that it is better to get one or two outstanding credentials like PhD(Harvard) or JD(Yale) than collecting several substandard overlapping degrees....they have their own place and help but as I said above 4 degress studying basically the same thing (management for example above) is really pointless to me...

Number 1 of everything... The question is "Will he die a virgin?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Frankly it looks good but We All know it only matter the number of D initals behind your name... Find me someone with a Ph.D, Pharm.D, MD, DMD then i'll be impressed lol but then again i don't see whats the point of all em Ds to begin with...

Frankly it looks good but We All know it only matter the number of D initals behind your name... Find me someone with a Ph.D, Pharm.D, MD, DMD then i'll be impressed lol but then again i don't see whats the point of all em Ds to begin with...

That person was either born in a college or they died half through their second to last degree.

all of those distinctions are just too much. most of those fellowships are a buddy buddy setup.

why get all those executive degrees and STILL WORK IN PHARMACY?

so work for a hospital and limit your income to pharmacist director wage?

sounds like he was trying to get as much as he could to maybe move up to CEO of hospital but it didnt work out.

Can someone please explain why people list RPh, PHARMD?

isnt everyone an RPh that has their license? That is like nurses that list BSN, RN

for God's sake, welcome to the department of redundancy department.

Can someone please explain why people list RPh, PHARMD?
Not every PharmD has a license, and not everyone who has a license is a PharmD. When it is not obvious that PharmD implies RPh (i.e. outside direct patient care settings that require licensure), listing both may be warranted. Depends on what you are trying to do...

As far as multiple abbreviations after one's name... Academia is a whole different dog-eat-dog, publish or perish world, and how many abbreviations are after your name may make a difference. There are reasons I decided not to stay in academia as a career, as much as I enjoyed teaching. :oops:

Technically, if you did PharmD in six years, DMD in three (or is it four?), and combined MD/PhD in six or seven... you can still be done well before the age of 40. But how do you convince a school to admit you for the third degree, that's the question. Not to mention convince them that you aren't nuts, because there is no practical value to having all four degrees.

Take out the DMD, and I do believe I have seen some PharmD/MD/PhDs around (though I think one of them was RPh/MD/PhD). And some MD/JD/PhDs. Work with one, in fact.

At my school's MBA program, most of the program is pretty similar to the MPH. So this guy gets an MS in managment, an MBA, a MPH, and then goes around collecting management certificates. I really don't see the point!!!!!

I assume you're just referring to a management MBA? There are numerous types of MBA programs.

Robert Lee Page, II, PharmD, MSPH, FCCP, FASHP, FASCP, FAHA, BCPS, CGP ties your guy, although with fewer degrees and more certifications. But he's a PhD candidate now, so he's working on it. Here's his faculty bio.

Those that are really impressive dont need to list all their Masters...and certs.....

I list whatever is relevant to what I am doing at my job.

:highfive:

There's a husband and wife "ministry" team in my region and each of them has 2 or 3 Ph.D.'s but their website doesn't say from where. Oh, and the wife "has had Nurses Training" too.

And not very far OT: I had a phone interview on Monday, and the chief pharmacist at this facility, which was not a small one, did not know what a PGY-1 was, which means I may actually be qualified for this job! It's in a city 250 miles from where I live now, and he said there isn't much emphasis on that in his area.

Robert Lee Page, II, PharmD, MSPH, FCCP, FASHP, FASCP, FAHA, BCPS, CGP ties your guy, although with fewer degrees and more certifications. But he's a PhD candidate now, so he's working on it. Here's his faculty bio.

Why I don't Understand... WTF IS THE POINT??? can't he just stopped it at Pharm.D BCPS CGP or something god damn

I was going to mention him too. He presented at the ACCP prep course (great, BTW) and it took a whole slide just for his titles, I swear.

Last edited:
:highfive:

And not very far OT: I had a phone interview on Monday, and the chief pharmacist at this facility, which was not a small one, did not know what a PGY-1 was, which means I may actually be qualified for this job! It's in a city 250 miles from where I live now, and he said there isn't much emphasis on that in his area.

maybe......just maybe.

Not every PharmD has a license, and not everyone who has a license is a PharmD. When it is not obvious that PharmD implies RPh (i.e. outside direct patient care settings that require licensure), listing both may be warranted. Depends on what you are trying to do...
:oops:

http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/sop/cl-pharm/faculty/PonteCharlesCV2008.pdf
And listing it (PharmD, RPh) on your CV on a university website is warranted? As I said earlier this pharmacy (and academia) fascination with listing all tiny certificates, etc is just amateurish..I dont have any other problems with the guy in particular as he seems to be really well accomplished and has done a lot of things but just have this problem with listing acronymns after one's name for the heck of it....

Another thing I hate about academia is this fascination with listing all the small stupid service activities.....collected garbage...sat on 35 useless commitees...what did we decide at the end of it?....which new committee should we form?? Why cant it be short about what difference you actually made? My friend who graduated from an ivy league MBA said they were asked to prepare at most a 2 page resume. Thats the way things need to be. Nopes in academia you need a long CV 50-60-80 page document..resume won't work....I guess I can start seeing why some people hate academia...

Last edited:
I was going to mention him too. He presented at the ACCP prep course (great, BTW) and it took a whole slide just for his titles, I swear.

We get that slide every semester. He's awesome, just a little full of his qualifications.

So i am a predent student that stumbled upon this by looking up dds/mph programs. Anyway...

There is a resident that posts sparsely on the DDS forums and he was a pharmacist for 5 years and decided to go to dental school. After completing dental school he is currently in a 6 year oral surgery residency, which afterward he will be awarded an MD.

So his initials would be DDS/MD/PharmD if he wanted... haha!

Luckily oral surgeons make serious cash to pay for all those initials.

So i am a predent student that stumbled upon this by looking up dds/mph programs. Anyway...

There is a resident that posts sparsely on the DDS forums and he was a pharmacist for 5 years and decided to go to dental school. After completing dental school he is currently in a 6 year oral surgery residency, which afterward he will be awarded an MD.

So his initials would be DDS/MD/PharmD if he wanted... haha!

Luckily oral surgeons make serious cash to pay for all those initials.

There are two DDS/MDs in my city, which is not all that big, although one is an oral surgeon and the other is an ENT.

http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/sop/cl-pharm/faculty/PonteCharlesCV2008.pdf
And listing it (PharmD, RPh) on your CV on a university website is warranted? As I said earlier this pharmacy (and academia) fascination with listing all tiny certificates, etc is just amateurish..I dont have any other problems with the guy in particular as he seems to be really well accomplished and has done a lot of things but just have this problem with listing acronymns after one's name for the heck of it....

Another thing I hate about academia is this fascination with listing all the small stupid service activities.....collected garbage...sat on 35 useless commitees...what did we decide at the end of it?....which new committee should we form?? Why cant it be short about what difference you actually made? My friend who graduated from an ivy league MBA said they were asked to prepare at most a 2 page resume. Thats the way things need to be. Nopes in academia you need a long CV 50-60-80 page document..resume won't work....I guess I can start seeing why some people hate academia...

There are lots of people who join committees and civic organizations, and never attend any meetings or functions, so they can say they're on them. I don't get it either.

We get that slide every semester. He's awesome, just a little full of his qualifications.

This is Robert Lee Page, PharmD, MSPH one of your professors at the University, Mr. P2. I hope you're studying hard, rather than playing on the internet. Thank you very much for the compliment! I'm sending this through one of our P4 students, who is amazing by the way!

so... what if this guy named Scott just really likes to learn?! and what if his business card just said... Scott Mark.

lets not make assumptions on these people. remember academia likes credentialing which is probably where you saw the alphabet behind his name. im sure he didnt go and tell the IT person or whoever put down his information to put all of those credentials, come on lets get real here.

...just my two cents.