PharmD student, what are my chances? Med school costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdkid11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year pharmacy student who just wrote my mcat because I want to pursue a career in medicine and have more direct patient care involvment. My undergrad GPA is 3.84 and my pharmacy school GPA is 3.4. I have hundreds of volunteer hours at a clinic. The only thing I am waiting for is my MCAT results.
My question is does my degree put me at any advantage? what is my minimum MCAT score that will allow me to apply? and what are the cheaper medical schools in the US as I am a canadian student and canadian medical schools are much harder to get into but at the same time I do not want to pay 80gs a year in tution in the states

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not. While 3.4 gGPA might be fine for DO programs, it's barely on life support for MD schools.

My question is does my degree put me at any advantage?

Aim for at least 30 with 10/10/10

what is my minimum MCAT score that will allow me to apply?

Invest in the MSAR to find out what schools actually accept international students. State schools wil be cheaper than private, but the former also gouge OOS students. They're also harder to get into if you're from OOS and aren't > avg.

and what are the cheaper medical schools in the US as I am a canadian student and canadian medical schools are much harder to get into but at the same time I do not want to pay 80gs a year in tution in the states[/QUOTE]

Probably not. While 3.4 gGPA might be fine for DO programs, it's barely on life support for MD schools.

My question is does my degree put me at any advantage?

Aim for at least 30 with 10/10/10

what is my minimum MCAT score that will allow me to apply?

Invest in the MSAR to find out what schools actually accept international students. State schools wil be cheaper than private, but the former also gouge OOS students. They're also harder to get into if you're from OOS and aren't > avg.

and what are the cheaper medical schools in the US as I am a canadian student and canadian medical schools are much harder to get into but at the same time I do not want to pay 80gs a year in tution in the states
[/QUOTE]
The thing is though my undergraduate GPA is 3.84 and I thought that is what medical schools looked at and not the graduate school GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied this cycle and AAMC put all my pharmacy course work as graduate, even my P1-P2 where I was still considered an undergrad because I did the 2 years undergrad then 4 years pharmacy school. So I have 93 hours as my undergrad GPA (lots of AP classes). From reading on this forum that undergrad GPA is more important than graduate GPA. So I think you're fine with an undergrad of 3.84, at least I would be.

We look at everything and the more recent performance is indicative to us of what you capable of right now. That's why poorer performance in grad vs UG is looked down upon highly; we reject people for that.

The thing is though my undergraduate GPA is 3.84 and I thought that is what medical schools looked at and not the graduate school GPA?[/QUOTE]