MD PharmD to MD; considering top schools, thoughts on chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jagster92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
..thanks again for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Along with the free clinic hours I've shadowed the providers there and will be training for scribe work there as well. Also, one of my pharmacy rotations this summer will be 40hrs working alongside an MD in internal medicine so very similar to shadowing just with more responsibility on myself to complete an allotted assignment of tasks provided by my school. As far as the switch, there are several reasons. One of which was originally out of high school I was in between pharmacy and medicine but really loved the pharmacy school i visited and got accepted for the 6yr program with no need for standardized tests etc. so this stood out to me as a good opportunity. But getting a better understanding of the differences in roles between the two medicine moreso fits my interests and I think the background in pharmacology will be more useful and pertinent than any undergrad major i could have chose. I would have regretted every day of my life as a pharmacist thinking what if. I don't think I wasted my time in pharmacy school bc i had the chance to mature and gain many transferable skills to become a more well-rounded applicant when i do apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do well on MCAT and you're golden.

I've got 2 years to complete for my PharmD, but going for my MD afterward. I'm looking at some top schools and haven't taken my MCAT yet (registered for Aug 2014), but just curious on anyone's thoughts for getting into some of the more top tier schools e.g. Stanford, Wash U in St. Louis, Penn, etc. This will be expanded over the next yr or so but this is what I have now and will gladly hear thoughts/suggestions. Thanks!

Academics:
-4.00 sGPA, 3.98 cGPA, 4.0 undergrad GPA
Pt care:
-150+ free clinic volunteer hrs (double this by the time i apply)
-starting end of life volunteer care position that will continue until graduation
Research:
-1 summer of clinical research (published)
-1 semester of independent lab research (1 more year by time i apply)
Teaching:
-peer tutor X3yrs
-writing center X3yrs
-Problem solving workshop peer leader-this is a pharmacy class integrating case based learning
Other:
-RA
-college soccer/cross country: XC captain
-active clinical pharmacy school organization member (treasurer, trivia chair, health screenings)
-member of pharmacy Greek honor society and leadership society
-other odd jobs for the summer before I realized what i wanted to do and got serious about healthcare (bank, construction, pharmacy assistant)

Do well on MCAT and you're golden.
Just curious what is a good benchmark for a solid MCAT score? My thoughts were at least 12 in each section in order to keep myself from being negatively affected by my score, then of course anything above that being extra help

Just curious what is a good benchmark for a solid MCAT score? My thoughts were at least 12 in each section in order to keep myself from being negatively affected by my score, then of course anything above that being extra help

A 12 in each section is a 36, which is ~97-98th percentile I believe, so that would be an excellent score. Most people try to break 30 (10/10/10 ideally).