Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

PharmD to MD with 3.25 GPA

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by kendrick lamar, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. kendrick lamar

kendrick lamar 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    hey guys, just wanted some insight
    So I just graduated with my PharmD, a six-year, out of high school program with a 3.25 GPA. I am *considering* medical school in the future, although I don't think I would seriously think for application cycle 2-3 years from now when I can assure myself I have more experiential work to solidify my decision. There are a lot of reasons my GPA is low, namely b/c lack of interest and motivation and depression outside of school. However, I really changed my mind after doing rotations and seeing the real life of what doctors do everyday that motivated me to focus and learn. I've done some minimal research on the topic and read that having a GPA of 3.25 could benefit from taking 3-5 additional post bac classes (to me, that looks like 1 semesters worth of credits). I know I will have to take physics because my pre-pharmacy curriculum did not require that. In addition, I was strongly considering the MPH, regardless of whether I officially decide to do medicine or not. I could possibly retake a few classes (microbiology and organic chemistry II) which I got C's in (I got an A in organic chemistry I though), but I would rather not retake and do an MPH instead which I have a strong interest in as it is. I am wondering if taking an undergraduate physics class +MPH and getting good results would improve my chances for admission. Of course, I would also have to consider the MCAT, but as far as my GPA goes, I wanted some insight. I would strongly prefer the MD route over DO and would be looking into mostly state universities or a few others in my locality (Hofstra, Howard, UMass, SUNY Downstate...). Any insight is appreciated.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Indianarn

Indianarn 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    So in my opinion, nothing is impossible. What you are trying to do 2-3 years might be a realistic time for it. Your thought is right, you are going to need physics beside any other pre-req that you have not done. I would say, as you take these classes and practice pharmacy you would find some physicians that you can talk to and possible shadow to see if you like what they do. Secondly, MCAT's format is changing, I would keep that in mind as you get ready for it. Some of the pre-reqs are also changing so get yourself updated on that. Another thing that I would say is that even though MD is not totally out of the questions, I would keep the door of Osteopathic Medicine open. DO schools are generally more accepting of non traditional students. Good luck.

4. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    No, it is constant question I get and the MPH will not mitigate a lower GPA.

5. kendrick lamar

Pharmacy Student
    so if I do consider med school (and more so the MD program), would taking a semester worth classes, maybe retaking the ones I didn't do well on in my undergrad help?

6. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    The issue with MD is that retakes do not take place of original grades, so both the old grade and new grade will count. You would likely have to redo some of that and take some additional courses. I would actually think an SMP is a way for you to go

7. kendrick lamar

Pharmacy Student
    Thanks for the help! I really wanted to do the MPH regardless of whether I officially decide to go to med school or not since it is a huge interest of mine so I'm not really sure if I want to take the SMP route. I know my GPA is pretty low but as it is really borderline minimum and not below 3.0 I'm not sure if there will be a benefit over doing the SMP than taking a semester worth (5-6) classes. I don't know too much about SMP programs either

8. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Yes, and you'll need to ace them all, plus do well on the MCAT.

I've done some minimal research on the topic and read that having a GPA of 3.25 could benefit from taking 3-5 additional post bac classes (to me, that looks like 1 semesters worth of credits). I know I will have to take physics because my pre-pharmacy curriculum did not require that.

Yes.
    I am wondering if taking an undergraduate physics class +MPH and getting good results would improve my chances for admission.

The avg med school matriculant has a GPA of 3.6, whith 3.4 being the floor. Do your homework because l=unless you're a URM, Howard is an unlikley choice, being it's oneof the HBCs. MSAR Online is your friend. U MA is very in-state selective.

Of course, I would also have to consider the MCAT, but as far as my GPA goes, I wanted some insight. I would strongly prefer the MD route over DO and would be looking into mostly state universities or a few others in my locality (Hofstra, Howard, UMass, SUNY Downstate...). Any insight is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

9. kendrick lamar

Pharmacy Student
    [/QUOTE]

this is a thorough assessment, thanks a lot! I did do the whole GPA/MCAT grid and saw that with my GPA although it's pretty low, that with a reasonable MCAT score there may be a decent chance. I would ideally not like to get too hung up over classes as I also want to work and have experience, but if 3-5 classes is a reasonable load for my GPA, I would hope this is the most I would need to do. I also picked UMass b/c of the fact that I live in the area. I would have to do more research on individual schools for sure, like I said, this is a very preliminary process and it would take me 2-3 years to prepare and decide if med school is for me

10. farm_assist

farm_assist 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I am a PharmD and I just got into an MD program after working for several years. Definitely get that experience as a pharmacist under your belt! It will do wonders for your confidence and you will have some great stories to tell for your applications and interview. I think that's what got me in, as well as a sincere desire to help people in a greater capacity. The school I will attend has a more holistic approach to viewing applicants (much like many DO programs) and that helped me because I had a 3.5 science GPA and sub 30 MCAT. With your GPA you will have to score very well on the MCAT (well into the 30s) to be considered by most programs. I was taken aback by how much many of the schools didn't care that I was a PharmD. I was treated pretty much on par with the other applicants and my numbers were iffy by comparison; except for 2 schools which tout their "holistic" approach to admissions, both of which offered me an interview (one MD and one DO). I strongly recommend doing a bost-bac. I was an excellent test-taker in pharmacy school and I can tell you the MCAT is TOUGH. Tougher than any test I have taken in pharmacy school. But even if you kill the MCAT, your GPA needs the post-bac boost...and please give more consideration to the DO route. I work with both and they are indistinguishable in actual practice. Feel free to PM me with any questions, and good luck.

kendrick lamar likes this.
  11. W19

W19 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    @kendrick lamar Your GPA is fine for DO, and like @farm_assist says, you should give more consideration to DO... You are a pharmacist so don't be like the typical premed--MD or bust!

12. farm_assist

farm_assist 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Agreed. I would have jumped at DO but I was waitlisted. Then I got into MD afterward.

W19 likes this.

About the ads