PharmD with online MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsbkp08

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
in 2 years of pharmacy school, with rotations and stuff, I am realizing that standing up for like 8 hours and etc really don't fit my lifestyle.
I can't imagine myself doing that for rest of my life.
So I am thinking of doing MBA with it in different school and do something like health-related manager positions.
I did not graduate, with 2 years of undergrad I got into pharmacy school.
So should I take some business classes and apply for online MBA school?
What do you guys think about this path?

Members don't see this ad.

BMBiology said:
If you don't have any work experience, an MBA is not going to do you any good. You are just taking on more debt.

i only recommend doing an MBA if you already have plenty of work experience like in management. Without it, I don't think an MBA has much value.

You should do a search on this forum. MBA is not very useful if you don't have a lot or prior work experience

Getting an MBA without at least 3 years of work experience (management preferred) is a complete waste of money. Also only do it at a reputable university because of the networking.

An MBA is useful (1) if you have a lot of work experience; (2) if you received it from a well know university where there is a lot of networking.

Without practical experiences, an MPH, MBA, regulatory science degree do not mean much.
Saving you the trouble BMB :p

my school has a PharmD/MBA program, so I've started taking some MBA classes. I've read some mixed advice on the forums, but taking MBA classes doesn't hurt me right now b/c I'm already in school and have just been taking MBA classes in leu of pharmacy electives that we're required to take anyway, so it hasn't been bad. I agree that an MBA and even getting pharmacy jobs would be useful with experience, but the benefits of being in my school's MBA program is that they continuously post job offers/MBA internships on their mailing list, so considering what I can handle w/ my rotations at this point, I'm okay with taking those internships to gain managerial positions. IMO, it's best to go w/ your school's MBA than an online one b/c some of your pharmacy classes can count towards the MBA requirements and they may have a great career center that can help you out in finding those positions. Also, your hospital rotations as well as the clinical ones aren't going to be like retail, so just keep that in mind. Also, you're probably going to have to take the GMAT, so keep that in mind as well. And just be aware of the extra costs of getting an MBA degree since you're already in your fourth year. Just be aware of the opportunities available to you and evaluate the costs vs. benefits (lol) good luck.

Spend sometime working in admin or management before you dive into a MBA to make sure you actually like that type of work